The Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving public policy and management by fostering excellence in research, analysis, and education. APPAM accomplishes its mission through a variety of activities including an annual research conference featuring 325 panel sessions, two annual student conferences, an annual international conference, several research awards, a top-ranked journal, several diversity fellowships, institutional member forums, webinars and a host of student development activities. APPAM staff also provides management services to the American Society of Health Economists (ASHEcon) and National Tax Association (NTA), including overseeing their annual conferences, academic journals, websites, social media presence, membership activities and awards.
APPAM has 3,300 members and a budget of $2 million dollars. The annual budget has doubled in size over the last decade; there are currently 7 full-time staff members and several consultants. The organization is well-respected and in a period of growth.
APPAM is currently seeking an Office and Conferences Coordinator. This is a newly created position and will focus largely on administrative management and conferences/event support.
Salary range for the position is $45K - $50K. This position is a full time, exempt position. Benefits include full health, dental, vision and life insurance, 8% 403(b) employer contribution, short and long-term disability insurance, two weeks’ vacation, a flexible work schedule, including the opportunity for part-time remote work, a professional development budget, a convenient downtown DC location and a casual office environment. This is a great opportunity to work in a small office and be part of a dynamic team.
- Create the monthly accounting reports and work directly with the accountant to ensure that all accounting functions of the organizations are completed in an efficient and effective manner.
- Manage all the administrative functions for the office, including the IT systems, email programs, supply ordering, WMATA benefits, mailing and shipping, infrastructure and vendor relations.
- Clean and maintain various databases including membership and abstract systems.
- Monitor the APPAM Info email box.
- Manage the job listings program for APPAM’s institutional members.
- Help provide registration assistance for the conference registration. This includes responding to email requests for registration and refunds prior to the event, group registrations, and leading the check-in process onsite.
- Provide general conference support for all conferences and events including shipping, packing, ordering supplies and awards, and onsite assistance.
- Create and analyze short post-event surveys for all APPAM events.
- Coordinate conference travel and manage the hotel master rooming lists for the board, staff, specific speakers and all award winners
- Track all sponsorship payments to ensure they are received in a timely manner
The successful candidate will:
- Be a proactive, take charge person. APPAM has a small staff and every employee needs to take full ownership of their role
- Be excited at the prospect of working with a small staff and a superior multitasker. Tasks and responsibility areas are not at all siloed
- Have excellent organizational skills. The successful candidate will be managing several projects at once and should excel and be energized by wearing many hats
- Exhibit great attention to detail
- Be proficient with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Have the ability to manage timelines and be adaptable to change
- Have superior oral and written communication skills
- Be able to work independently and meet deadlines
- Be comfortable—and enthusiastic--with taking on new projects
- Be required to travel a few times per year
- Be interested in public policy issues
- Have experience in an association or nonprofit setting, ideally
- Have a bachelor’s degree
How To Apply
To apply, please complete the online application below. A cover letter is required.