Tides envisions a world of shared prosperity and social change founded on equality & human rights, healthy individuals & communities, a sustainable environment, and quality education for all. Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve society’s toughest problems. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Accountant works with Tides Social Venture staff to provide financial services and reporting to both internal staff and external clients. Reconciling accounts and creating general ledger journal entries are essential duties of this position. The position will also possess a working knowledge of SalesForce and NetSuite financial system and will assist in the maintenance of operational policies and practices that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
The Accountant is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for a variety of accounting duties and maintains accurate financials for all Tides projects.
• Provide exceptional client service to internal staff and external clients
• Review and approve disbursements and monitor project cash flow to ensure compliance with funder regulations and Tides cash management policies
• Prepare accounts receivable invoices and entries for reimbursable government grants
• Prepare journal entries for reclasses and reconcilement
• Prepare monthly reconciliations of project balance sheet accounts
• Analyze activity and ensure accuracy of allocations of funds to appropriate funding sources
• Prepare accurate and timely financial reports for external/internal clients
• Prepare documentation for annual and other external audits/tax filings
• Provide back-up coverage to Senior Accountants, Social Ventures
• Other projects as assigned by management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), non-profit and grant accounting, and internal control processes
• Strong analytical and accounting skills. Must be able to identify, analyze, and problemsolve accounting or compliance issues within a deadline-oriented environment
• Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties
• Strong critical thinking and decision-making ability and able to make financially sound determinations
• Ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
• Proficiency with MS Office, SalesForce and NetSuite
• Excellent organizational, planning, prioritizing and time management skills
• Ability to work independently within a fast-paced, task-directed, deadline-oriented environment
Education and Experience:
• Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance
• 2+ years of experience in a similar position
• Fund/Grant accounting experience preferred
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.