REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
At the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund (the Federation), we envision diverse, dynamic Bay Area Jewish communities, deeply engaged in Jewish life and doing good locally, in Israel, and around the world. We create opportunities for people in the Bay Area to connect with and contribute to their communities. Our work is guided by the timeless Jewish values of kehilla (community), tzedakah (giving with just intention), tzedek (pursuing justice), and tikkun olam (repairing the world).
Reporting to the CFO, the Managing Director of Finance and Controller is responsible for the day-to-day oversight of all accounting, finance, and budgeting activities in accordance with and service to the organization’s overall mission and strategy. The position will play a key role in the selection and implementation of a new accounting software package and oversee the integration of accounting systems with other data management systems at the Federation.
The role will lead accounting and finance operations, supervise a team of approximately fifteen staff members with functional responsibility for budgeting, forecasting, general ledger accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed assets, investments, cash management, and payroll.
This role has managerial responsibilities for the Accounting and Finance teams and will oversee accounting and finance staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Oversee accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with GAAP standards and internal policies.
- Review journal entries to record activity to the general ledger for completeness and accuracy.
- Lead finance staff in the provision of timely and accurate analyses and financial reporting.
- Under the direction of the CFO and in collaboration with department managers, develop the annual operating budget and provide training on finance and accounting processes as needed.
- Assume fiduciary duty as a signer on Federation’s bank and investment management accounts.
- Provide financial oversight of the organization’s gift acceptance policy, particularly for transactions involving illiquid gifts, in conjunction with other departments.
- Primary financial oversight of the organization’s special purpose vehicles (Nova Steuart, FPP LLC).
- Under direction of the CFO, plan and coordinate the annual financial statement audit of the organization including serving as the liaison with external auditors.
- Implement accounting policies and practices in conformance with all relevant law, GAAP, FASB, and IRS regulations.
- Oversee accounting and reporting for donor –advised vehicles (donor-advised funds and supporting organizations).
- Oversee accounting and reporting and adherence to donor designation for endowment funds (including custodial agency endowments).
- Provide fiduciary and financial oversight, accounting, maintenance, and reporting of investment pools and portfolios.
- Develop, monitor, and improve internal accounting controls.
- Ensure compliance across the organization with governance requirements and applicable local, state, and national regulatory laws and filings, including financial and tax reporting
- Provide day-to-day oversight of Federation’s insurance and risk management program.
- Work closely with the Accounting and Finance team to establish and implement short and long-term departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Oversee the month-end and annual closing process for all accounting functions, including general ledger postings. Assure timely monthly, quarterly, and annual closings.
- Supervise day-to-day payroll and disbursement functions of the Federation.
- Provide finance and accounting policy orientation to new staff.
- Liaise as needed with the outsourced building management team related to the operations of 121 and 131 Steuart Street as needed.
- Support the CFO in day-to-day banking and treasury management.
- Liaise with third-party benefits administrators as needed.
- Actively supervise and support Accounting and Finance department personnel.
- Create a culture of excellence and customer service within the finance department, ensuring high level performance and collegiality of accounting and finance staff.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communication with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a truly positive and supportive work environment.
- Leverage the strengths of the current Accounting and Finance team, providing training, development, and supervision in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Evaluate department staff in collaboration with the CFO.
- Support the CFO in working with Board chairpersons of Finance and Administration, Investment, Retirement, Audit, Building, and Endowment Committees.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING EQUIVALENT
- BA/BS in accounting or related finance degree required. CPA or equivalent preferred.
- 5-7 years of successful management and leadership experience in all aspects of non-profit accounting.
- Experience or familiarity with MicroEdge FIMS platform, NetSuite, Sage Intacct, Adaptive Planning, and accounting software conversion a plus.
QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSES)
- Ability to develop and implement effective accounting policies and procedures.
- Knowledge and passion for maximizing up to date and best in class accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Strong knowledge of non-profit accounting management and budgeting.
- Ability to select, develop, motivate, mentor, and retain high-performing staff.
- Experience working with lay leaders and in creating and maintaining healthy lay/professional relationships.
- Experience working closely with multiple stakeholders including donors and volunteers.
- Preferred knowledge of and appreciation for the Jewish community, its customs, and practices.
Salary range: $183,600- $204,000
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, holidays (including Jewish), and retirement plan.
How To Apply
Please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com. All applications and inquiries will receive a response and will be kept strictly confidential.
The Federation requires COVID-19 vaccination for new hires and is planning a hybrid work model of currently working one day a week in our office. Read Our Commitment to Diversity to learn more.