The Center for Independence of the Disabled in New York (CIDNY) is a leading organization serving and representing people with disabilities in New York City. CIDNY's mission is the removal of barriers to full integration of people with disabilities. CIDNY helps people with disabilities to gain the skills and obtain the services they need to live independently in the community and advocates for fair and effective policies that improve the quality of life for people with disabilities. CIDNY is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Represent the Ombudsman program by responding to resident, family, and/or community complaints;
- Advocate for resident rights including avoidance of elder abuse, mistreatment, and neglect;
- Conduct timely visits (monthly or quarterly as required) to long-term care facilities that are uncovered and follow up on complaints in facilities not covered by certified ombudsman program volunteers;
- Conduct in-person visits to investigate and resolve complaints made by or on behalf of residents of LTC facilities, in collaboration with assigned volunteers;
- Assign and oversee ombudsman volunteers from the designated borough, in coordination with the Volunteer Coordinator;
- Supervise volunteers in their assigned LTC facilities and at in-service meetings;
- Reviews complaints from community members regarding LTC facilities;
- Review accuracy of volunteer reports, stipends/travel reimbursement requests;
- Complete mandated certification required by the NYS Office of the Long Term Care Ombudsman
- Liaison with resident councils in all LTC facilities;
- Enter data into databases accurately and timely, and report to the Program Director on outcomes, trends, and activities;
- Assist in volunteer recognition;
- Serve as the interim Borough Supervisor in the absence of another Borough Supervisor
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director.
Education and Training:
Bachelor’s degree in social work, health, public administration, gerontology, law or related fields; at least three years of experience in nursing homes, entitlements, complaint investigation.
- Conflict mediation experience preferred;
- Certification as Ombudsman;
- Previous experience with volunteer management is highly desirable;
- Excellent written and oral communication;
- Attention to details;
- Previous experience with client advocacy;
- Must be computer literate of basic Microsoft Programs;
- Familiarity with online or offline databases preferred;
- Respectful and comfortable with persons with disabilities and all individuals from diverse racial/ethnic, linguistic, and economic backgrounds.
- Competence in languages other than English preferred.
Temporarily remote due to COVID-19
Computer/Laptop, Phone, Printer/Coper
The Borough Supervisor will spend some of their work time in CIDNY’s Queens, NY office. The work area is shared and the workspace is divided into cubicles. Verbal communication can be heard from other staff in adjoining cubicles.
We conform to all laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
Number of Employees Directly Supervised:
Director of Ombudsman Program
How To Apply
Please send a thoughtful cover letter and resume to Deirdre Garrett-Scott, Director of Ombudsman Program at email@example.com. Do not send your letter and resume by fax. Please use the job title as email header. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.