The Center for Independence of the Disabled in New York (CIDNY) is the leading organization serving and representing people with disabilities in New York City. CIDNY's mission is the removal of barriers to full integration of people with disabilities. CIDNY helps people with disabilities to gain the skills and obtain the services they need to live independently in the community and advocates for fair and effective policies that improve the quality of life for people with disabilities. CIDNY is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Independent Living (IL) Specialist will report to the Director of Housing Programs and will work collaboratively with the Rapid Transition Housing Program (RHTP) Housing Specialist, as well as other programs at CIDNY. The IL Specialist’s key role is to assist individuals with disabilities to live independently in their communities, with adequate and continuous support in place.
Education and Training:
Minimum of a Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the essential duties of the position may be substituted.
- Responsible for the establishment and delivery of Individualized Service Plans (ISP) with a focus on person-centered planning to meet the needs of RTH program participants to live independently, including but not limited to linkages to community resources, budgeting, transportation, and health care
- Conduct monthly homes visits for assessment, implementation, and revisions of
- Work locally to establish mutual referral systems with Managed Care Organizations, Performing Provider Systems, hospitals, nursing homes, service providers,
- Collaborate with applicants and/or their Housing Specialist, Transition Specialist, Nursing Home Discharge Planner, Care Manager (CM), natural support, or advocate to ensure a support services plan is in place for program admission and transition to independent living.
- Track and report on all activities using the statewide project
- Perform other duties and attend training as requested by the Program Director or the Chief Executive
- Experience with the concepts of Independent Living, consumer control, and a strong commitment to promoting and advocating for the full integration of individuals with disabilities.
- Experience transitioning individuals from institutions to the community including familiarity with finding affordable, accessible, integrated housing and the development of individualized service
- Knowledge of state and local housing policies, practices, laws, and issues impacting seniors and people with disabilities strongly
- Knowledge of the State’s Medicaid program and community resources which can assist people with disabilities in living
- Willingness and ability to readily respond to changing circumstances and
Temporarily remote due to COVID-19. Job responsibilities will require the individual to travel throughout Nassau and Suffolk County when the office re-opens.
Computer/Laptop, Phone, Printer/Copier
The office is located in Queens, N.Y. but job responsibilities require individual to travel.
We conform to all laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation and gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
Number of Employees Directly Supervised:
Director of Services
How To Apply
Please send a thoughtful cover letter and resume to Carlos Ortiz, Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org Do not send applications by fax. Please use the job title as the email header. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.