WHO WE ARE:
At the U.S. Soccer Foundation, we use soccer as a vehicle to make positive social change in the communities where the need is greatest. We ensure that girls and boys living in underserved communities have access to evidence-based soccer programming that delivers positive health and youth development outcomes, as well as safe places to play right in their neighborhoods. Our after-school soccer program, Soccer for Success, provides children with free access to quality soccer programming, safe places to play, and caring coach-mentors who are trained to help transform young lives. In 2017, the Foundation announced its strategic goals to engage 1 million children in Soccer for Success and build 1,000 safe playing spaces by 2026.
OUR CORE VALUES:
It takes an entire team of dedicated individuals to achieve our goals. Our core values guide our team members and drive our work forward.
Embrace Ambition: We do not settle for what is, we are innovative and push the status quo. We are comfortable with the uncomfortable; big goals bring on unchartered territory. We seek to continuously improve and always pursue excellence.
Community-Focused: We take a 'work with, not for or to' approach. We engage communities to drive systemic change. We are conscious leaders, sharing tools for success.
Dynamic Team Spirit: We are fun and passionate about our cause. We support our teammates' successes and priorities. We strive to be a team that considers all perspectives and reflects our diverse communities.
WHAT YOU WILL CONTRIBUTE:
The U.S. Soccer Foundation seeks an energetic and hardworking Government Relations Fellow to join its team. The individual selected will work primarily with the Strategy & Expansion team and will report to the Director of Strategic Partnerships. In this role, the individual will help carry out the Foundation’s national and local government relations strategy, as well as support the development of partnerships that will help the Foundation reach its 2026 goals. In addition, our Government Relations fellow will have the opportunity to work with the Programs, Development, Expansion, and Operations team as well as our program partners who deliver Soccer for Success locally.
The Government Relations Fellow will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Update the U.S. Soccer Foundation’s Congressional Agenda
- Work closely with the Congressional Soccer Caucus around hill related events and local site visits
- Help coordinate content-based briefings that will educate the hill audience around important issues surrounding mentorship, health and wellness, and the built environment
- Identify and prospect municipal partnership opportunities
- Supporting the prospecting of national, state and local entities that can become partners in scaling efforts (hospital systems, youth development organizations, government entities, etc.)
- Developing materials that will be used to steward partnerships
- Developing reports that will be shared with strategic growth partners
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
A successful candidate will possess:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher
- Background/ interest in Public Policy or social entrepreneurship
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, oral, copyediting, and proofreading skills
- Positive attitude and a strong work ethic
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, multitask, and prioritize
- Ability to problem solve and think critically and analytically
- Strong attention to detail and possesses high level of organization
- Model a mature and professional demeanor and have strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work with a wide range of team members
- Solid commitment to bettering the lives of children through mentorship and sports
- Experience with the Microsoft Office suite of programs, managing informational systems, and database processes
- Experience with Salesforce is a plus
How To Apply
APPLICANT INSTRUCTIONS: Interested applicants must include resume, cover letter, two (2) writing samples, and at least two references, one of which is supervisory in nature. References must include name, organization, title, and contact information for each individual listed. The two writing samples should be uploaded alongside the cover letter.
We wish we could respond to individual inquiries but unfortunately, that is not possible. We encourage you to visit our website to learn more about the U.S. Soccer Foundation at www.ussoccerfoundation.org.