Write on Sports (WoS) is a growing nonprofit organization that helps middle school students from underserved communities develop reading and writing skills and build self confidence. Using the lens of sports and the tools of journalism, students enhance critical thinking and learn how to effectively tell stories at WoS tuition-free writing programs.
WoS is seeking a full-time, motivated Executive Director to strategically lead and manage the operations of this nonprofit. This individual is innovative and prepared to expand the reach of WoS programming in the metropolitan tri-state area. The Executive Director will execute the strategy developed by the Board of Directors, have direct oversight of staff, and will lead fundraising and development for the organization. This position reports to the Executive Committee.
Management and Operations
- Manages internal staff (including Educational Director, Program Manager, Community Relations Director, Controller) to implement short and long-term goals to support the strategic plan
- Oversees the day-to-day operations, ensuring work is completed on time and within budget
- Supports the Board with strategic planning initiatives
- Maintains official records,, contracts, and documents
- Manages internal operations including recruiting and retaining staff and volunteers
- Develops the annual budget in collaboration with the Board’s finance committee and staff
- Assists the Board in the development of procedures and processes, as needed, to ensure the sustainability and growth of the organization
- Fosters collaborative working relationships with community groups and partnering organizations
- Reports to the Executive Committee
Fundraising and Development
- Assists in the creation of fundraising strategies to engage existing donors and cultivate new donors
- Leads in the development and execution of major fundraising campaigns and events
- Oversees social media/marketing strategy
- Understands the different segments of donors, including giving capacity and the best means to communicate with them
- Develops new relationships with individuals, community partners and businesses to widen our fundraising base and volunteer network
- Seeks out and assists in applying for grants from individuals, foundations, medical entities, corporations, government, and institutional funders
- Works with the Fundraising Committee, and grant writing consultant to deliver grant applications on time and ensure their accuracy.
- BS (or MS preferred) in nonprofit management or business administration
- Passionate about advancing writing literacy in young students
- Proven experience in nonprofit management, 3+ years of experience
- Background in educational programs a must
- High level strategic thinking and operational planning
- Skilled in communications both written (clear, concise narrative reports), verbal, group facilitation, and presentations
- Excellent relationship-building skills with staff members, volunteers, donors and the community
- Self-starter with the ability to effectively manage time and priorities
- Experience in people management, delegating roles and responsibilities, and ability to work effectively in a diverse environment
- Demonstrated experience in major donor giving as well as grass-roots fundraising
- Grant-writing and accounting experience across government, non-profit, and private funding organizations
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION/WORK ENVIRONMENT
WoS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in all we do. All qualified applicants are invited and encouraged to apply.
We are looking for someone who can support our organization in a full-time capacity. This is a hybrid position, working from a home office with the necessary equipment to function remotely; and traveling to meetings and program sites as required multiple times a month. Some evenings, weekends and non-traditional working hours may be required to accommodate team collaboration and fundraising responsibilities. Prior nonprofit ED experience not required, candidates with nonprofit management experience will be considered. Bonus potential if fundraising goals are met.
How To Apply
Interested candidates may apply by forwarding a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org