AppalReD Legal Aid seeks a dynamic, skilled, and experienced attorney to lead the non-profit law firm in its service to the community through the provision of free civil legal services. The Executive Director position is open until filled, but candidates are encouraged to submit applications no later than April 28th for fullest consideration.
The mission of AppalReD Legal Aid is to promote equal access to justice, to encourage self-sufficiency, to empower and to improve the lives of low income and other vulnerable people and families in Eastern and South Central Kentucky by providing them high quality legal assistance.
AppalReD Legal Aid is a historic, justice seeking, non-profit law firm serving Kentucky’s Appalachian communities in Eastern and South Central Kentucky. AppalReD Legal Aid has a history of aggressive advocacy for its clients and the provision of the highest level of legal services.
AppalReD Legal Aid is the designated Legal Services Corporation (LSC) funding recipient for its service area. AppalReD Legal Aid handled over 4,500 cases in 2022 with a staff of 53 committed, public-service driven individuals. AppalReD’s budget of $5.5 million draws upon funding from LSC, Victims of Crime Act Funding (VOCA), other federal grants, state funding sources, private donors and foundations, and other diversified funding sources.
AppalReD Legal Aid is one of four Kentucky LSC-funded non-profit law firms, serving 37 of Kentucky’s 120 counties. AppalReD Legal Aid provides services via five regional offices, which are located in Barbourville, Hazard, Prestonsburg, Richmond, and Somerset.
AppalReD’s Focus on Service
AppalReD Legal Aid provides free civil legal services to individuals and families whose incomes are insufficient to retain private legal services to address critical legal matters such as domestic violence, sexual assault, family law matters, black lung cases, disability, bankruptcy, expungement, matters related to opioid and other substance abuse conditions, and other critical legal services that relate to a family’s safety, stability, and health.
Over 200,000 individuals living in AppalReD Legal Aid’s service area live below the poverty level per AppalReD’s most recent Strategic Planning data. AppalReD diligently and intentionally uses its funding to provide equitable access to all the counties it serves. However, the need is always greater than the resources that exist. Continued pursuit of funding is always an important part of the Executive Director’s role.
In recent years, the firm has made great strides in increasing funding, maximizing technological resources, and investing in its human resources (staff and volunteers) in order to continue to increase services while maintaining the highest quality of services. AppalReD Legal Aid is in the process of launching a Comprehensive Needs Assessment and the Executive Director will oversee and lead this process. The agency is in a solid financial position, is achieving excellent results for clients, and has a dedicated and professional staff.
Education, License, and Experience Qualifications
· Must be an attorney, licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, or capable of becoming licensed in Kentucky in a reasonable period of time.
· Must have no less than ten years of experience in the practice of law.
· Experience in non-profit legal services or other similar experience is preferred.
· Management experience is preferred.
Dynamic Leadership Qualities and Skills
Service of Legal Aid’s Client Community
· Exhibits a strong commitment to the provision of free civil legal services to those who qualify.
· Has a history of service to others and professional experience that evidences a passion for service.
· Acts with compassion and advocates for justice for all, especially community members who are marginalized, underserved, disenfranchised, and unable to access legal services.
· Treats everyone with dignity and respect.
· Understands the dynamics of poverty and its impact upon individuals, families, and communities.
· Is committed to the service of Kentucky’s Appalachian communities and walking alongside communities to improve the quality of life for all community members through the provision of critical civil legal services.
· Works closely with other key executive staff members, including the Advocacy Director, Director of Administration, and Chief Financial Officer who report to the Executive Director.
· Skilled in financial management matters and responsible for setting and overseeing the budget in concert with the CFO and the Board of Directors.
· Has experience in pursuing, managing, and implementing grant funded activities.
· Exhibits excellent management skills, understanding the dynamics of working with people from all backgrounds, experience levels, education, and income levels.
· Committed to diversity and the importance of building and supporting a diverse workforce to work together in service to the community.
· Has the skills necessary to oversee the management of the law firm as the leader of the management team.
· Has strong interpersonal skills which enable the candidate to professionally connect and communicate with all staff members.
· Sets an example of professionalism at all times.
· Motivates staff through relationship building, visionary leadership, and the pursuit of goals that further AppalReD Legal Aid’s mission.
· Develops staff through a leadership structure that provides all staff the opportunity for meaningful feedback, regularly scheduled reviews, professional development opportunities, support, and training.
Visionary and Strategic Leadership
· Identifies needs of the client communities AppalReD Legal Aid serves and crafts policies, plans, and organizational structures to meet those needs.
· Engages in regular Needs Assessment and Strategic Planning initiatives to conduct long-term planning.
· Works with AppalReD Legal Aid’s Board of Directors to set policies that further the mission.
· Collaborates with the Board to recruit and train Board members.
· Regularly reports to the Board on strategic initiatives and overall operations in furtherance of the mission.
Leadership and Representation in the Community
· Serves as a representative of AppalReD Legal Aid in the community.
· Has excellent character and is respected in the legal community and the client community.
· Builds relationships with client community members, community partners, and other stakeholders who have an interest in furtherance of AppalReD Legal Aid’s mission.
· Represents AppalReD Legal Aid at a local, statewide, and national levels, pursuing relationships and initiatives that benefit AppalReD and the community it serves.
· Communicates with funders, maintaining and increasing financial resources for the organization.
· Works closely with the other three Executive Directors of Kentucky’s LSC-funded legal aid agencies to accomplish the overall statewide mission of the provision of free civil legal services to those in need.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. The Executive Director position is one that bends and changes over time to meet the needs of the organization as it grows in service to the community. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors who sets the overall mission and strategic plan for the organization.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
AppalReD Legal Aid values diversity and inclusion. We believe that all people have the right to equal treatment and equal opportunities. We value the opportunity to serve the communities in which we work across 37 Kentucky counties. We do not discriminate in our employment practices nor in how we engage with our community and provide services. All qualified applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, gender, sex, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, disability, religion, sexual orientation, Veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by law.
How To Apply
Neva Polley Scott is assisting AppalReD Legal Aid with this search. To apply for the position of Executive Director, please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references via email to Neva Polley Scott (email@example.com). Please submit all three documents in either Word or PDF formats.