General DescriptionThe Director of Marketing and Sales is responsible for maximizing the Science Center’s total attendance and earned revenue through the sale of admissions, reserved programs, and private events. The Director will lead and supervise staff within the marketing and sales department, overseeing the marketing, membership and group sales, private-event sales, reservations, and design operations. The Director will also manage the day-to-day collaboration and relationship with third-party operators who manage the Science Center’s retail, catering, and foodservice operations. Marketing duties include developing overall marketing and sales strategy, overseeing market research and marketing information, creative positioning, and the creation and promotion of compelling reasons to visit. The Director will serve as an integral member of the Science Center’s Museum Operations Leadership Team to set, promote, and implement a vision for Science Center programs that address high-priority community needs and support the organization’s mission to bring science to life and lives to science.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIESMarketing & Sales:
- Establish overall marketing and sales strategy for the Science Center.
- Develop and implement marketing and sales plans and advertising campaigns to ensure that the Science Center achieves its attendance, admissions, and earned revenue goals.
- Develop and implement departmental budgets for areas of responsibility. Build business cases as needed for new investments and additional resources where there can be material improvements made to the visitor experience or revenue generation.
- Lead and supervise staff within the marketing and sales department, overseeing the marketing, membership and group sales, private-event sales, reservations, and design operations.
- Manage relationships with relevant vendors and consultants including advertising agencies, creative agencies, market research firms, external design firms, etc.
- Work with the Sr. Director of Operations and Business Development to establish pricing policies and set prices for assigned programs, products, and services.
- Serve as the marketing and sales lead on the Public Programming Committee. Collaborate with committee members to plan programs that offer a compelling reason to visit the Science Center and address priority community needs, deliver against learning goals, and maximize the Science Center’s impact.
- Promote the Science Center in ways that are recognizable, relatable, and relevant to people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Develop and implement plans to make science and STEAM more accessible and exciting to anyone, especially people from backgrounds that have been historically underrepresented in STEAM fields.
- Develop and implement plans that to provide access to visitors irrespective of their ability to pay.
- Develop and oversee execution of market research plans and ensure that the Science Center is gathering, analyzing, and utilizing marketing information throughout the marketing and sales operation.
- Identify and measure key performance indicators for marketing and sales operations, communicating performance through the regular distribution of reports.
- Establish overall creative themes for advertising and promotions. Establish and maintain brand guidelines for the Science Center and related programs and properties.
- Ensure that the Science Center’s marketing and sales operations are at the forefront of practices among non-profit organizations.
- Ensure that all marketing and sales practices are carried out in a manner that is consistent with the overall goals of the Science Center’s mission.
- Oversee the development and operation of the Science Center’s website, mobile application, and digital media properties in collaboration with the Director of Museum Technology and Director of Communications.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the Science Center’s promotional calendar in collaboration with the Director of Communications.
- Oversee the reservations department to ensure timely booking of reservations, proper record keeping, and reporting to finance.
- Manage the day-to-day collaboration and relationships with third-party operators who manage the Science Center’s retail, catering, and foodservice operations to maximize revenue and guest satisfaction derived from Science Center attendance and participation in private events.
- Work with the Director of Communications to develop public relations and communications plans to support the Science Center’s attendance and earned revenue goals.
- Work with the Chief Philanthropy Officer to identify marketing benefits that can be included within sponsorship proposals that support capital and operating needs. Ensure proper fulfillment of marketing related benefits to sponsors.
- Support and strengthen the use of technology, digital communication strategies, and other new media efforts to maximize engagement.
- Support the adoption of new technologies that encourage team collaboration and communication.
- Other duties as assigned.
· Develop goals and objectives for staff, monitor performance, conduct performance reviews for team members, and provide opportunities for professional development. Establish high quality standards, adherence to standard operating procedures, an expectation of professionalism and a consistently positive guest experience.
· Provide leadership, mentorship, and support for managers under your supervision as well as within your broader organization.
· Collaborate across departments to ensure that visitor facing teams maintain a working knowledge of current and future Science Center content to support their ability to effectively promote the content to visitors.
· Make diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging a priority in hiring, training, and supervision.
· Manage team schedules to ensure sufficient coverage to meet visitor and operational needs at all times.
Qualifications· Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field required. Higher degree a plus.
· Ten plus years of experience developing strategic marketing and sales plans required. Previous experience in a museum, cultural attraction, family attraction, or hospitality industry preferred.
· Strong ability to conceptualize and develop project schedules, including major milestones and critical paths, for the successful completion of projects on time and on budget.
· Experience with budgets, staffing, deadlines, metrics, deliverables, and ability to think strategically about the resources needed for sustainability and growth.
· Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written; excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
· Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to work with staff at all levels in a complex, collaborative environment; ability to foster and sustain inclusive workplace values and relationships.
· Demonstrated experience hiring, leading and motivating high-performing teams.
· Basic data literacy, and ability to ask questions which can be answered by available data to inform strategy & decision making.
· Ability to participate in programs, events and receptions that may occur outside of normal working hours.
· A customer-centric approach to audience and revenue growth.
- Proficiency with office software and point-of-sales software.
· A sense of wonder, fun, and risk-taking; and a desire to spark curiosity in self and others.
· Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus.
*Candidates of diverse backgrounds encouraged to apply.