At Laspau (Latin American Scholarship Programs with American Universities), we are driven by a profound commitment to positive transformation in Latin America and the Caribbean and a belief that education is the mechanism to achieve it.
For over 50 years, Laspau, an organization affiliated with Harvard University, has been dedicated to advancing higher education across the Americas. We work with individuals, academic leaders, faculty members and governments from 34 countries across Latin America and the Caribbean connecting talented minds with advanced educational opportunities and improving teaching and learning practices to strengthen university education. Laspau carries out its mission by designing and managing scholarship programs for graduate studies abroad as well as short-term programs to improve the effectiveness of higher education. We also administer a graduate school admissions test in Spanish and build higher education alliances throughout the Western Hemisphere.
Laspau’s original mission was faculty development, and to a large extent faculty development still lies at the core of our mission today. Throughout its history, Laspau has consistently worked to build institutional capacity in universities by creating opportunities for faculty and academic leaders to access high quality graduate level academic programs abroad and more recently, to learn from the foremost global experts to improve the effectiveness of their institutions. Laspau also has a long history of advocating for diversity and inclusion in the programs in our portfolio, giving special attention to institutions and individuals from provincial universities and
For over a decade, we’ve helped hundreds of universities identify ideal candidates, innovate teaching methods and improve their effectiveness. This continues to influence generations of faculty and students with global best practices in teaching and learning, impacting future experts and leaders.
Laspau is overseen by a Board of Trustees formed by distinguished members from various countries and fields of expertise. The board includes prominent members of Harvard University as well as as leaders in international affairs and higher education. Additionally, Laspau has an Advisory Council composed of influential leaders from Latin America who support the advancement of the organization.
Our values--excellence, integrity, trust, and respect--guide us in our day-to-day work and our interactions with scholars, partners and one another.
About the Role
The Deputy Director is responsible for the overall strategic, programmatic, and personnel management of Laspau and its related initiatives in two areas: Scholarship Program Area and the University Innovation Area. This role oversees departments representing more than 50% of Laspau's 25 staff.
With the Executive Director, the Deputy Director is responsible for overall strategic planning, policy coordination, and management of Laspau and may substitute for the Executive Director in the latter's absence. The Deputy Director will maintain close relations with Laspau's Board of Trustees and, as the deputy executive of the organization, participate in Board meetings and committees. Along with the Executive Director, she/he/they serve as a key representative of and spokesperson for LASPAU with senior-level officials in the government, academic, and private sectors in the United States and in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The Deputy Director of Laspau is the second most senior position in the organization and reports to the Executive Director.
Travel in the U.S. and abroad to meet with clients is expected throughout the year, when safe.
- Oversee the creation of the strategy and plan execution for the Scholarship Programs area, the University Innovation Area, and special strategic initiatives such as Technological Frontiers.
- Oversee business development and strategy for Laspau’s Scholarship Programs:
- Supervise the team, including the Fulbright Program Manager, Manager of Advising Services, Manager for Selection and Placement and Associate Director of University Innovation
- Ensure that academic programs are conducted in a professional, efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Oversee management of current client relationships, ensuring that communication with clients and program funders is efficient, timely and all reporting and responsibilities to clients are fulfilled.
- Liaison with the Harvard HR department, ensuring smooth communication between the Laspau team and Harvard's HR department.
Qualifications and Mindset
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow, and excel professionally. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below:
- The following requirements are necessary for candidates: a bachelor's degree, ten years of related experience, fluent (written and spoken) Spanish
- Established record as an effective manager of human and fiscal resources, business development, and program management. Proven experience in successfully managing teams.
- Knowledge of trends and developments related to higher education in Latin America in the Caribbean.
- Familiar with the role of technology in education.
- Experience in working with institutions, funding agencies, and governments in Latin America is desired. Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills, good judgment, and a high level of attention to detail are necessary.
- Design and creative thinking.
- Excellent writing skills and data-driven orientation.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Laspau offers a comprehensive benefits package through its affiliation with Harvard University. The salary for this role is $110,000. Below is a snapshot of benefits:
- 20 days of vacation/year, 3 personal days, 12 sick days, 12.5 paid holidays plus winter recess
- Tuition assistance program, allowing staff to take Harvard courses at very low cost, including courses in degree-granting programs.
- Health, vision and dental insurance
- A menu of retirement plans, including a 5% employer contribution that vests after 3 years of employment
- Life insurance, short-term disability coverage, and parental leave.
- Child care subsidies
- Parking and transportation subsidies
To learn more about Harvard’s total employment rewards, please click here.
LASPAU'S RESPONSE TO COVID-19
We continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 and the lifting of restrictions. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. We will be conducting interviews virtually for selected candidates until further notice.
During the current period of Covid-19 related restrictions, this position may start as a remote position, with the transition to onsite in Cambridge when the office reopens as August 2, 2021.
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to this position, please have an updated resume ready and a thoughtfully written cover letter to the attention of Laspau’s Search Committee. For confidential inquiries or for assistance in completing the application, please contact us via email at email@example.com and a member of our team will follow up.
TIMELINE AND HIRING PROCESS
We will review and respond to all applications received. While subject to change, candidates elected to advance throughout the process can expect two interviews with Positively Partners, an interview with Laspau’s Executive team, and, for finalists, an interview day with Board members and staff, including a robust and holistic reference check process. Expected start date is summer 2021.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.