Summary of Responsibilities: This position is primarily focused on supporting the Development Director in developing relationships with donors of the Lake Hopatcong Foundation. These contributors include individual donors, families, businesses, and other groups that provide support to the organization. In addition to conducting regular meetings and phone calls with donors, the Deputy Development Director is expected to stay up-to-date on fundraising numbers through the organization’s donor management software, help maintain the donor database, and work with fundraising event committees. The person in this role will also be expected to regularly leave the office to meet with donors and network at local events, such as chamber of commerce meetings, and evening and weekend work will occasionally be expected (which, when necessary, will be compensated with time off during the week). The position will also involve working closely with the board of trustees’ Development Committee, which will support the role through outreach to donors and the cultivating of prospective donor lists.
Goals for this position include:
- Expanding the LHF donor base
- Building donor engagement programs to reduce attrition and increase average gift size
- Building and executing a fundraising event strategy
Scope of Responsibilities: The scope of activities is wide; the Deputy Development Director will likely be engaged in most of the activities conducted by the organization. None of the initiatives would be possible without the fundraising to back it up, so it is essential that the Deputy Development Director is up-to-date on projects and initiatives so as to provide updates and insight to donors. Although the Executive Director and Development Director will exercise some authority, the office staff mostly functions as a team, working together to find consensus and supporting one another in their efforts. Responsibilities in this role can extend from the smallest clerical detail to providing input on major decisions, and everything in between.
Organization Description: The Lake Hopatcong Foundation is a growing 8-year-old nonprofit organization that is based on New Jersey’s largest lake and works to improve and enhance the lake environment and experience. We do this through:
- Environmental initiatives that protect water quality and prevent invasive species
- Educational initiatives that teach local students about watersheds, lake ecosystems, history, and safety
- Safety initiatives that help reduce recklessness and accidents on the water
- Community-building initiatives that help bring together the four towns and two counties that surround Lake Hopatcong
Previous Experience Required: Several years of related fundraising experience is required, particularly in a development role and/or within a nonprofit organization. Volunteer experience is also a prerequisite, as much of the job involves working with our crew of volunteers; understanding how to best communicate and connect with them will be a major part of the job.
Skills and Competencies:
- General ease with technology; Google platform and MS Office required
- Strong organizational skills
- Solid writing and editing skills
- Comfort with public speaking at community/networking events
- Familiarity with donor management software (eTapestry preferred)
- Passion for driving impact on behalf of the organization
Other: The Lake Hopatcong Foundation deals intensely with issues that face the lake and the surrounding communities, so familiarity with the area is a plus. Experience in any of our mission areas: environmental science, public safety, education, and community building, as well as local, county, or state government, will help in this position, but are not necessary.
How To Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferably in PDF format).