People For the American Way and its affiliate, People For the American Way Foundation, are progressive advocacy
organizations founded to fight right-wing extremism and build a democratic society that implements the ideals of
freedom, equality, opportunity and justice for all. We encourage civic participation, defend fundamental rights,
and fight to dismantle systemic barriers to equitable opportunity.
The Controller will be a proactive, hands-on strategic thinkerworkingwith the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), having
responsibility for People For’sfinancial and accounting functions. The Controller supports the day-to-day
operations of the Finance department; this position ensures accuratereporting for revenue and expenses to our
accounting software system, which results in the monthly and annual financial statements. The Controller provides
back up for the other Finance department staff andreports to the CFO.This position is traditionally located in
Washington, D.C. but can also be remote (with the ability to travel to D.C. occasionally post-pandemic).
• Oversees all accounts, ledgers, reporting systems and monthly financial statements ensuring compliance
with appropriate GAAP standards, regulatoryreports, requirements and proper c3/c4 account allocations.
• Assesses information needs of senior leadership and develops systems to generate financial information,
reports, and analyses responsive to their needs.
• Prepare monthly bank reconciliation, monitor cash account balances, and prepare cash position report.
• Reviews payroll processing, prepares and posts related journal entries.
• Maintains internal controls and safeguards for receipt of revenue and expenditures including American
• Working with our outside independent auditors supports the CFO in the annual audit, regulatory
compliance, and annual budget preparation process.
• Maintain fixed asset schedules and assure proper depreciation allocations.
• Drives continual improvement of accounting practices and procedures to increase efficiency both within
the Finance team and across the organization.
• Spearheads the implementation, operation, and continued improvement of accounting software packages
• Provides leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff across the organization and
promotes a positive and supportive work environment.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required with a minimum of ten years of related
experience, including c3 and c4 nonprofit organizations with a budget of at least $15 million.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required.
• Significant experience in and advanced knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including sophisticated fund
and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting.
• Experience in coordinating audit activities
• Deep knowledge of automated financial systems and system integration with non-financial applications.
• Extensive experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, general ledger, accounts
payable, accounts receivable, and payroll transactions and processes for a complex nonprofit organization
with multiple funding sources to ensure flawless audits.
• Thorough knowledge of GAAP including the accounting cycle, monthly and year-end closing, financial
reporting, and analysis.
• Proficiency in complex spreadsheet design.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with an ability to interpret and explain complex financial
concepts and information to non-experts at all levels of the organization.
• Keen analytic, organizational, and problem-solving skills to provide strategic data interpretation, rather
than simple reporting.
• Strong commitment to People For’s issues, campaigns and racial justice, including protecting our
democracy, defending fundamental rights, and fighting for policies that reflect progressive values
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, collaboration, collegiality, and a demonstrated commitment to
the People For’s mission
How To Apply
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org