Reports to: Managing Director
Compensation: $44,070 - $55,087 annually plus benefits
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Guthrie Theater would like to acknowledge that we gather on the traditional land of the Dakota People and honor with gratitude the land itself and the people who have stewarded it throughout the generations, including the Ojibwe and other Indigenous nations.
The Assistant to the Managing Director provides executive administrative support for the Managing Director and select Board Committees. The primary duties include managing the daily operations of the Managing Director’s office and Board Committee preparation, meetings, and communications. This position will also maintain various schedules, databases, and organization systems to ensure efficient workflow for the Managing Director and Board Committees. All employees are expected to center, model and champion the Guthrie’s core values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility; and Fiscal Responsibility.
This position is full-time, exempt and benefits-eligible. Compensation for this position is $44,070 - $55,087 annually plus benefits. The typical schedule for this role will vary based on the dynamic schedule of a theater but will primarily be Monday - Friday, daytime hours. Must occasionally be willing and able to work flexible hours/days, including evenings and weekends.
The Guthrie is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Office Operations
- Manage the Managing Director’s office including the daily schedule, travel plans, filing systems, and meeting prep to ensure the most effective and efficient use of time.
- Manage the Managing Director’s calendar, including scheduling, room reservation, etc. This includes coordinating various cross-departmental meetings.
- Ensure the Managing Director is fully prepared for meetings with background information and necessary documents.
- Maintain digital and paper files for the Managing Director’s office. Recommend and implement improvements to filing systems.
- Oversee office supply stocking for the Managing Director’s office and support centralized office supply implementation for the administrative offices.
- Monitor Administrative /Management cost center.
- Prepare invoices and pay bills related to travel and business expenses.
- Monitor PTO requests from Managing Director’s direct reports using UKGPro.
- Organize national and international travel arrangements for the Managing Director, including air travel, hotels, ground transportation, theater tickets, breakfast/lunch/dinner engagements, and meetings. Prepare detailed itinerary for each trip.
2. Communication and Scheduling
- Serve as the Managing Director’s liaison to the staff and public to keep the flow of communication open and timely.
- Communicate concerns and messages from staff, artists, audience, board, donors, business associates, politicians, community members, etc. to the Managing Director.
- Welcome friends, colleagues, artists, and other VIPs to the Guthrie, and act as VIP tour guide as needed.
- Coordinate the Managing Director’s external stakeholder engagements in concert with other liaison departments.
- Record Managing Director’s community meetings and stakeholder contacts using Tessitura.
- Respond to a wide variety of correspondence, emails, and phone requests to create and maintain positive relationships, including opening mail to determine level and type of response necessary and RSVP’ing to invitations sent to Managing Director to attend openings, parties, fundraisers, etc.
- Lead the administration of and participate in the weekly internal Operating Committee.
- Assist, and possibly lead, the planning of two staff parties per year.
- Participate in staff Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility initiatives.
- Provide administrative support for the work of select Board Committees.
- Serve as a key staff liaison for the following Board Committees: Community Engagement Committee, Development Committee, Facilities Committee, Finance Committee, Governance Committee, Government Affairs Committee, Investment Committee, Marketing Committee.
- In coordination with the Managing Director, Committee Chairs, and other key staff liaisons, prepare and compile agendas and all supporting materials for above Committees.
- Attend all meetings for the above Committees.
- Disseminate information to the Committees.
- Record, edit, and disseminate minutes of Committee meetings to key stakeholders.
- Maintain digital and paper files for Committees.
- Schedule and set up meeting rooms, including food and beverages, for Committee meetings.
- Coordinate with Executive Assistant to the Director and key Development staff to create and maintain Board calendar and Board documents throughout the year.
- Record and maintain Board data using customer relationship management software (Tessitura), including Committee membership and meeting attendance.
- Recommend procedures for improving and updating organizational processes.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstration of applicable administrative support experience.
- Capability to work quickly, efficiently, and independently.
- Experience with Board support is preferred.
- Time management and planning skills to handle multiple and changing priorities.
- Experience exercising good judgment and handling highly confidential information with absolute discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Technically proficient using Office 365 and experience with customer relationship management software preferred.
- Skilled in writing, proof-reading, and editing for varied audiences.
- Capability to remain calm and diplomatic under pressure.
- Flexible navigating last minute changes.
- Experience thinking creatively to anticipate and solve problems.
- Experience developing and maintaining filing systems (paper and digital) to manage a large volume of documents and information.
- Effective communicating with diverse groups to make them feel welcome at the Guthrie Theater regardless of their level of experience in the field.
- Experience, capability, and commitment to working with individuals and teams that are mixed across lines of difference such as race, gender-identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class, and immigrant status.
The Guthrie Theater is located in the historic Mill District along the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minnesota. As the largest city in the state, Minneapolis offers a large variety of parks, lakes, great food, festivals, malls and more.
WHY SHOULD I APPLY?
Be a part of a leading non-profit organization that is committed to serving not only the local Twin Cities community but the industry as a whole. In addition to a competitive salary, the Guthrie offers top-notch employee benefits and staff perks.
A NOTE FROM HUMAN RESOURCES
For the safety of our guests and staff, the Guthrie Theater requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Documentation of vaccination status must be provided if an offer of employment is made.
How To Apply
Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter to be considered for the position.
Apply online here: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/GUT1000/JobBoard/47c392e4-6d7f-1e47-226b-ee862ea48cfb/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=44ec0a43-d324-4b2c-b457-ce6d4e0ea069