Fayerweather Street School (FSS) is a leading independent, progressive, PK-8 all gender school in the Fresh Pond area of Cambridge, MA. The school has transitioned to an integrated advancement structure that includes admissions, enrollment management, fundraising, alum relations, community engagement, and marketing and communications. FSS seeks professionals who are looking to join an innovative, passionate, and welcoming community.
FSS seeks a dynamic, creative, experienced Marketing & Communications Manager (MCM) to help develop and implement short term and long-range plans, tactical programs, and an integrated messaging strategy that will elevate the visibility and profile of Fayerweather consistent with its strategic plan, fundraising goals, and enrollment objectives. The manager designs clear and effective communications that invite all constituents–parents, teachers & staff, students, alums, Board directors, volunteers, and community leaders–to understand and appreciate the Fayerweather experience, while ensuring brand identity, messaging coherence, and consistency across all channels.
The MCM reports to the Director of Advancement & Community Engagement and works collaboratively with the Head of School, Advancement Team, and school leaders. The ideal candidate will demonstrate enthusiasm for Fayerweather and for telling its story while being nimble, flexible, and skilled at building cohesion across school communications and media platforms.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Designs and implements internal/external marketing/communications plans to deepen constituent understanding of the school, its educational philosophy, and strategic objectives by listening attentively to and communicating effectively and authentically with the school community.
- Collaborates regularly with the Director of Advancement & Community Engagement, Head of School, Director of Admissions, and other administrators and volunteer leaders to create and edit appropriate communications.
- Leads all marketing efforts, managing and elevating the school's brand through strategic planning, market insight, trend analysis, data-driven strategies and feedback from constituencies.
Print and Digital Communications
- Partners with Director of Admissions, Advancement Team, administrators, and others to create materials that convey the unique strengths of FSS to current and prospective families, and assists with attracting students/families who are mission-aligned by bringing to life the FSS “story” and leveraging the school’s value proposition in service of enrollment objectives.
- Advises and coordinates with the Advancement Team to develop materials that will educate the community about the importance of philanthropy, build relationships with constituents, strengthen engagement, and assist the school in meeting its fundraising goals.
- Oversees production of all-school publications, website, parent newsletters, admissions, and development materials.
- Manages and coordinates the selection process for relevant outside vendors and consultants.
Communications Team Leader
- Cultivates parent, Board, and alum volunteer efforts in support of communication and marketing goals through a robust and vibrant Word of Mouth Ambassador program.
- Create and update web content and images.
- Creates and monitors the School communications calendar.
- Attends meetings and events, which may be scheduled on evenings and weekends, and maintains a presence in and awareness of the day-to-day life of the School.
Key Skills, Qualifications, and Qualities:
- Actively supportive of the school’s mission, values, and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and social justice.
- BA in relevant major and 3-5 years progressive experience.
- A vision for effective communications and marketing for an independent school and an ability to think strategically about school communications and messaging.
- Outstanding written communication and editing skills.
- Strong photography skills, graphic design skills, and video scripting, production, and editing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; the ability to work collaboratively and proactively with the School’s diverse and inclusive community to advance the mission of the School.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle and prioritize multiple projects; able to initiate, anticipate, and follow through on multiple projects with firm deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as a one-person Mar/Comm shop and as part of a small, interconnected, advancement and administrative team.
- Proclivity to approach projects with an improvement-oriented critical eye and desire to learn and grow as a professional.
- Creative, flexible, able to adapt quickly, optimistic, energetic, self-starting, possesses a sense of humor, and able to connect authentically with diverse constituents, including students.
Salary range: $65,000-$85,000/annually. We are looking to fill this position immediately or for next school year. FSS welcomes candidates who will add to the diversity of our community and who have demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, and belonging in their work and learning. Fayerweather Street School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or family composition, or any other status protected by applicable law in the administration of its employment, education, admission, financial aid, and other policies and programs.
How To Apply
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Assistant Director of Admissions. You may submit samples or links to portfolios if you choose. Please be prepared to provide 5 references, at least two of your references must be someone who is/was your direct supervisor. Applications will be reviewed as received and hiring will continue until the position is filled.