Do you want to make a difference in the life of a child? We do too! Children need a safe space where they can learn and grow. For over 40 years, First Baptist has done just that. We are a church where everyone is welcomed and affirmed – no matter what.
What do we provide?
- $500 monthly stipend
- $250 monthly food stipend
- Free housing and utilities
- Free airfare/transportation to and from Tahoe City, CA
- Opportunities for free skiing or snowboarding (during Spring semester)
- Coordination with your university to provide internship credit. Some educational institutions require prior approval before the start of an internship. It is the responsibility of the student to check with their institution to be sure they meet any requirements before they accept a position.
What will I do?
- Through our preschool (2.5-5) and after school program (grades TK-6th), you will have a chance to mentor children. This happens through conflict management, bible stories, cooperative recreation, and free play. You will have an opportunity to support children and families by showing up at their sporting events, sharing your positive attitude, and living out your faith in real and tangible ways.
- You’ll also have the opportunity to help with special projects that support our church members and community.
Are there any other opportunities?
- Our church LOVES our community! We try to get involved and help out wherever we can. You’ll have the choice to join us as we show God’s love to our neighbors. Here are some examples: volunteering at Spartan/Iron Man events, hosting a booth at the community harvest festival, or shuttling athletes at the Tahoe Cup (the second longest inland paddle board race in the world!).
- While in Tahoe, you will also have an opportunity to help with our Refuge youth group. Refuge is primarily for middle school youth.
- Do you play a musical instrument or sing? We want to give you the chance to participate in our worship team.
- Do you ski or snowboard (or do you want to learn how to ski or snowboard)? Each week during the Spring semester, our church leads 20 minute mountain top church services at 7 ski areas around the Tahoe basin. If you participate in ski ministry, you’ll receive free rentals and lift tickets for a wonderful day of skiing or snowboarding.
Sounds like a lot of work…are we going to have any fun?
- Of course, this is not all-work-and-no-play! During the summer you’ll find tons of: hiking, mountain biking, paddle boarding, kayaking, white water rafting, outdoor concerts, outdoor movies, and street festivals. During winter months, we are a mecca of skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing.
- Also, in the Spring and Fall semesters we provide a staff retreat that gives you a chance to see some of the other beautiful places in California!
Where will I stay?
- While serving in Tahoe, you will live at First Baptist Church. We have two dorm rooms that sleep a total of 12 students. You will serve on a team of college students from around the country.
- The church is located approximately 2 blocks from downtown Tahoe City. Tahoe City is located on the north shore of Lake Tahoe.
What’s your church like?
- While “Baptist” is in our name, we are functionally an interdenominational church. Our interns come from a variety of faith backgrounds.
- You’ll find our church very loving and supportive. They want to get to know you and help guide your spiritual development. Our congregation loves Tahoe and will often take our interns on adventures.
Who will I work with?
- While here you will be supervised by a team of people who have years of experience caring for children. Besides supervision, we provide opportunities for spiritual, professional, and personal development.
How do I qualify?
- Excellent understanding of the principles of child development and preschool educational methods
- Excellent communication and instructional skills
- Ability to act as mediator between children
- Cool-tempered, friendly and reliable
- At least 12 credit hours in most majors
We invite interns to participate in our ministry three times per year: Spring (January-May), Summer (June-July), and Fall (August-December). Our ministry programs are fully licensed through the State of California Department of Social Services and follow all of the State of California COVID-19 guidelines for child care facilities and churches.
How To Apply
or Check out our website: https://www.fbctahoe.com/