Who we are: Founded in 1966, CRLA’s mission is to fight for justice and individual rights alongside the most exploited communities of our society. Through a network of regional offices and cross-cutting programs, CRLA provides legal services to over 42,000 low-income people annually. Our work impacts farmworkers, individuals with disabilities, immigrant populations, LGBT communities, women, children and families in rural areas.
Position: Staff Attorney
Experience: Law Graduate, 0 + plus years
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Location: Stockton, CA
Term of Employment: Regular, Full-Time
Other: FLSA Exempt, Union Position
Reporting to the Directing Attorney, the Staff Attorney provides comprehensive legal services to eligible clients in CRLA priority areas in accordance with CRLA program guidelines, the ABA Standards for Providers of Civil Legal Services and the Code of Professional Responsibility.
- Provides legal service to low income clients and client groups including advice, negotiation, litigation and administrative advocacy in accordance with program priorities and case handling policies.
- Reviews and supervises the work product of Community Workers and Clerical support staff relating to all clients being advised or represented by him/her.
- Undertakes significant statewide impact activity, including institutional and group litigation or community economic development beneficial to the low-income community.
- Develops leadership in working with community, client and other advocacy groups related to statewide impact issues.
- Works to develop specialized knowledge in a substantive area of poverty law and acts as a resource for other staff through participation in at least one CRLA task force.
- Coordinates advocacy in substantive areas through collaboration with other human services providers, non-profit organizations and community, client or other advocacy groups.
- Participates in CRLA training programs, local office case review or staff meetings or other CRLA activities as required.
- Provides community education regarding legal rights and prepares materials relating to these presentations.
- Works with members of the private bar as necessary in accordance with CRLA Private Bar Involvement.
- Maintains contemporaneous time records in the CRLA case handling system.
- Maintains a good working relationship with all members of the office staff.
- Utilizes basic capabilities of word processing program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Admitted to practice law in the State of CA or willingness to take the next CA Bar Exam.
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low income clients.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Able to meet deadlines and perform multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Good people skills and the ability to maintain positive relations with a diverse population.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish).
Preferred Education and Experience:
A highly qualified and desirable candidate would also have the following:
- Experience working with low-income families and communities.
- Experience in a non-profit legal services environment.
- Prior experience in legal services and additional language ability relevant.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation & Benefits:
Based on a competitive public interest union salary scale; generous benefits package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, and 401K retirement plan contribution. Fourteen (14) paid Holidays, generous vacation and sick leave policy, some professional dues paid by CRLA and if qualified - participation in the School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program (LRAP).
How To Apply
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE POSITION PLEASE CLICK THE LINK BELOW:
OR Email Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org