Tides is a nonprofit and philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing social justice. We work across the social sector to shift power to leaders, communities of color, and other historically excluded groups who face systemic barriers. Applying our equity-centered lens and leveraging our vast network of changemakers, we work to strengthen the impact of our partners by offering services like fiscal sponsorship, donor advised funds, impact investing, and grantmaking. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Senior Manager, People Operations and HRIS is responsible for leading and managing the day-to-day tactical HR support and all aspects of HRIS system administration including core HCM applications as well as data connections to various Payroll, Benefits, LMS, IT and 3rd party applications for the People Operations team. The Manager will act as change agent and will provide expertise in the HRIS system for process analysis, system design, data conversation with a focus on end-to-end process and organization impacts. They will act as the liaison between organizational teams, application vendors and IT for guidance on system integrations, and regular troubleshooting.
The Manager will be responsible for translating business and functional requirements to effective system design recommendations, system/data analysis and leading or participating in testing and deployment activities across various HR/Payroll system functions. This role will drive impact and foster a culture that is grounded in Justice, Equity, Inclusion & Diversity (JEDI) and Tides core values - Respect, Accountability, Creativity, Equity and Empowerment.
What you will do:
- Serve as the subject matter expert and lead the optimization of the HRIS system implementation in partnerships with various organization stakeholders and technology teams.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for optimizing the HRIS system for design, configuration, operation, and day to day administration.
- Implement and administer HR programs to deliver best people practices and a successful employee experience across the organization.
- Act as a change agent to identify process improvements, review and update current people processes to ensure they adhere to relevant local laws, are best practice, robust and meet business needs.
- Drive discipline throughout the organization’s HRIS and business processes to ensure a consistent and repeatable experience for staff and stakeholders.
- Own the delivery, documentation, and effectiveness of core people operations and processes, systems of record, and communication protocols with other functions such as Finance, Payroll, Legal, and Comms.
- Review and update, people operations documentation manuals and checklists to include process flows and ensure that these processes and those within the employee handbook are aligned.
- Manage all security role configurations and assignments for all HRIS system users and maintain security group policies.
- Identify and continually monitor opportunities for automation and reduction of manual processes and partner with teams across the organization on implementation of solutions.
- Work collaboratively with HR and other teams to troubleshoot, research, and escalate issues as necessary ensuring that users are updated on the status and addressing issues timely.
- Identify and mitigate security design risks to ensure HRIS system security role assignments and processes meet SOX control requirements.
- Lead design and implementation of HRIS system interfaces, error handling and custom process builds.
- Work with HRBPs and other key stakeholders to understand the strategic focus in their business areas and ensure the People operations is aligned accordingly. Lead and or participate in system related aspects of special projects/annual activities in partnership with other HR business partners (Performance Management Process, Annual Benefit enrollment process, etc.)
- Provide guidance on reporting strategy including continuous enhancement of reporting capabilities. Work with key stakeholders across the organization, to focus on developing and maintaining substantial analytics to help drive business decisions. Create reports, resources, dashboards, and training for People, Payroll, Recruiting team and partner organizations. Provide guidance and training for all HRIS users on HRIS operations, processes, and procedures.
- Prepare for and respond to internal and external audit requests by maintaining data integrity and data retrieval protocols.
- Supervise and manage the day to day of People operations team members.
- Define clear objectives for team members, provide informal feedback on an ongoing basis and formal feedback in the annual performance evaluation process to identify and develop talent. Exhibit strong management skills to ensure and promote development of the team through coaching, training, and leadership.
What you will bring:
- Knowledge of state and federal laws governing HR/Payroll common practices and compliance protocols strongly preferred.
- Expertise in the full software stack of the HRIS system, and/or other associated platforms strongly preferred.
- Able to translate business objectives and unmet needs into a clear vision and roadmap, with rigorous requirements and support the execution of that vision.
- Strong cross functional partner - able to work with stakeholders across the business, bridging the gap between technical and non -technical professionals.
- Ability to work with organization stakeholders on challenging and complex business problems in a fast-paced, rapidly growing organization.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, vagueness, and complexity. Highly autonomous and emotionally intelligent.
- Customer service oriented with a passion for helping others solve problems by seeking out solutions and anticipating needs; self-starter who acts ahead of direct guidance in a fast-past environment.
- A problem-solver - eager to optimize projects and processes for overall business operational efficiency.
- Ability to be resourceful, proactive, reliable, trustworthy, and assertive when necessary.
- Attention to detail and a dedication to accuracy, a “No task is too small” mentality.
- Strong analytical skills, troubleshooting and problem-solving capabilities and strong written and verbal communication.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in management information systems, HR or related discipline or equivalent years of related work experience can be substituted for a college degree.
- 7+ years demonstrated experience leading People/HR operations and/ or supporting HRIS implementations with complex HR and Payroll systems in partnership with various organization stakeholders.
- 4+ years’ experience leveraging reporting and analytics tools and techniques for HR, Payroll for large, complex organizations from multiple systems and sources preferred.
- Expertise in functional modules of HRIS systems (e.g., Core HCM, Recruiting, Compensation, Talent Management, Benefits, Absence Management, Time Tracking and Security)
- Experience using MS Office Suite to manipulate data, validate and visually represent information for presentations.
- Strong experience with process and project management including exercising good judgment in methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results with teams through direct and indirect management.
- Experience managing a team.
Life at Tides
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose - while our employee benefits support our team’s talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States.
Tides is committed to providing a competitive compensation package. The starting salary for this role ranges from $104,938 to $157,386 based on geographic location, years of experience, and ensuring pay equity within the organization. The recruiting team is committed to sharing more details regarding compensation based on the candidate's experience and location during the interview process. Tides offers a generous benefits package including: comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, life and disability insurances, retirement plan, educational assistance, confidential counseling and life balance resources designed to support the passion, commitment and energy that is vital to our team members.
Any Tides Network employee who wishes to use the office or travel to the office must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and boosted. You are required to submit proof of vaccination to the Human Resources Department at least 2 days before your first visit to the office. Employees who do not have vaccination information on file will not be permitted in the building.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.