CoveCare Center (Formerly known as Putnam Family & Community Services, Inc.,) a private non-profit agency providing substance use disorder treatment services in Putnam County, NY, has a full-time opening for a Prevention Educator.
The Prevention Educator is responsible for providing substance use services, social and emotional well-being, violence prevention and gambling education in assigned classes in school districts within Putnam County, while maintaining a positive relationship with school personnel.
- Implements evidence-based curriculums in assigned school districts,
- Provides alcohol and drug education and prevention information to students, school personnel and parents; this occasionally may include evening and weekend assignments.
- Assures that all requisite documentation/statistics are completed in an accurate and timely manner in accordance with prevention guidelines.
- Consults with school staff with regards to substance use services and prevention issues.
- Works with Camp Herrlich and Putnam County Youth Bureau during summer month duration and completing assigned duties as agreed upon by the Program Director or supervisor (time not spent in the school will be spent on agency related activities).
- Participates and collaborates at CoveCare Center for staff meetings and supervision.
- Participates in Putnam County Communities that Care Coalition’s meetings and events.
- Plans and provides awareness and information campaigns related to prevention during relevant events such as Red Ribbon Week and National Prevention Week.
- Participates in Youth Court meetings and court cases. Provides restorative interventions for juvenile offenders as deemed appropriate by supervisor.
- Attends workshops, conferences and staff development training seminars on current practices as directed by the Chief Executive Officer or supervisor to acquire continuing education in the appropriate field; implements what has been learned.
- Maintains cooperative relationships with all referents and community resources
- Undertakes related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s prepared Qualified Health Professional (QHP)* with two years’ related work experience. Must have basic computer literacy and excellent verbal and written skills. Position requires the ability to travel and use of own car.
*QHP includes Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC), Credentialed Problem Gambling Counselor, Certified Teacher, Certified Health Educator, Certified School Counselor, Certified Rehabilitation Counselor, Licensed Master Social Worker, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Mental Health Counselor, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Registered Professional Nurse, Licensed Physician, Licensed Creative Arts Therapist and National Board-Certified Counselor.
par rate: $19-$20 per hour