The Payroll Specialist is primarily responsible for the accurate and timely processing of all payroll functions and employee data using ADP Workforce Now and ADP Time & Attendance. The Payroll Specialist is the primary contact for all payroll inquiries and requires exceptional attention to detail and problem-solving skills, excellent customer service support, and the ability to troubleshoot technology issues. The successful candidate will and respond to frequent and urgent requests for information about payroll, tax, vacation and sick time, report generation, general ledger, and other general payroll policy matters. The successful candidate will thrive in a changing environment by supporting an upcoming system implementation from ADP Workforce Now to Ceridian Dayforce.
Reporting to the Sr. Payroll Manager, the Payroll Specialist is an exempt position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processes multi-state and multi-company payroll through ADP Workforce Now and ADP Time & Attendance. Enter data of all new hire information, employee changes and other data changes
- Processes out of cycle checks, payroll garnishments and employee separations
- Responds to questions from employees regarding paychecks, direct deposit and/or general payroll questions, and often handles escalated payroll matter from staff and managers in Human Resources, Finance and other internal departments
- Maintaining current employee salary allocations per payroll
- Troubleshoot problems with paychecks, tax deductions, vacation and sick accruals, and other payroll-related matters by researching and respond accordingly with related staff and managers
- Runs and prepares reports on a regular basis for payroll and other departments
- Prepares import files for information sharing between ADP and Time & Attendance regular basis and during payroll processing periods
- Maintains compliance with payroll laws, regulations, and other developments of Federal and State legislative and regulatory requirements
- Assists in periodic audits of payroll, HR, Benefits, and Customer Database systems as needed and takes necessary steps to correct any discrepancies
- Escalates potential payroll issues or problems before they happen and escalates to manager, or other departments for resolution
- Performs special projects as assigned, such as Paycard administration, documenting workflows, improving processes and procedures, and periodic updates to Payroll related forms, employee handbooks and operations manuals
- Responds to ad-hoc reporting requests for data from payroll systems, such as a quarterly reports and/or reports to verify accuracy of data
- May be required to train and/or guide other team members
- Support the HRIS implementation from ADP Workforce Now to Ceridian Dayforce
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to support full cycle payroll processing in a medium to large size organization
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of products and with ADP Workforce Now and ADP Time and Attendance.
- Demonstrated ability to processing new hires, terminations, status changes, tax changes, deductions, direct deposits, calculating wage and overtime payments, double time and other duties associated with standard payroll processing
- Understanding of employment law, common Payroll/HR practices, and government/federal regulations for employment standards and benefits.
- Ability to extract data from ADP Workforce now to meet complex reporting needs
- Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results
- Demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; ability to strive for high level of satisfaction
- Strong ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties
- Demonstrates ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information
- Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
- Demonstrates ability to maintain high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work-related duties
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong administrative skills, including strict attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent organizational, prioritizing and time management skills
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and work well in teams to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to adapt to changing work environments
- Proven ability to problem-solve using analytical and reasoning skills
- Ability to hold personal and benefits information strictly confidential.
- Ability to learn processes quickly for more efficient and effective results.
- Experience working within a labor union context is preferred.
- Experience using Ceridian Dayforce highly preferred
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent years of related work experience
- 5+ years of experience using ADP Workforce Now and Time and Attendance or Ceridian Dayforce to facilitate payroll procedures
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.