Title: Education Specialist
Location: WHEDco Middle School Extended School Day Program at The Highbridge Green School- MS 361
Reports to: Program Director
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco) is a community development organization founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning, sustainable, affordable homes – but our work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be successful, affordable housing must be anchored in strong communities that residents can be proud of. WHEDco’s mission is to give the South Bronx access to all the resources that create thriving neighborhoods – from high-quality early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food, cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See www.whedco.org for more information.
The Education Specialist will develop, design and implement curriculum for students in grades 6th to 8th. The Education Specialist will also supervise group leaders and specialist as they engage with student and conduct observations, provide formal and informal feedback, and design professional development opportunities. Additionally, the Education Specialist will liaise with school staff regarding academic benchmarks and goals as well as academic needs for individual students as needed. The Education Specialist will also plan and execute a Family Engagement Fair in late June to provide families with accessible educational activities to help prevent summer learning loss.
- Develop, design, implement and supervise the English language arts/academic enrichment curriculum for students in grades 6th to 8th. Curriculum will be aligned with the school’s academic goals but will be very hands-on and engaging with an emphasis on learning to enjoy reading and writing.
- Develop, design, implement and supervise a STEM curriculum for students in grades 6th to 8th. Curriculum will be aligned with the school’s academic goals but will be very hands-on and engaging with an emphasis on exploration and asking questions.
- Supervise group leaders and specialists, including the development of lesson plans, observations and coaching.
- Prepare program reports and assist in program evaluation as needed.
- Develop and maintain relationships with school administration and teachers and liaise to ensure alignment of benchmarks.
- Plan and execute relevant staff development workshops for group leaders to aid in their professional development, as needed.
- Any and all additional assignments that may be assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or a related field; Master’s degree in education a plus.
- Minimum three years’ professional teaching experience.
- Demonstrated interest in the fields of education, child development, STEM and literacy.
- Well organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Experience creating and delivering lesson plans in formal or in-formal settings.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and organizing experiential learning activities.
- Substantial volunteer work will be considered.
- Ability to be creative and flexible and respond to the changing needs of the extended day program.
Competitive hourly rate based on experience. This is a part-time hourly position.
All new hires must provide proof of having received at least one dose of a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) authorized COVID-19 vaccine by their first day of employment, and proof of full vaccination within 30 calendar days.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Education Specialist” and your name in the subject line.
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco follows the requirements of the New York Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.