Splash is an international development organization founded in 2007 and headquartered in Seattle, Washington, USA. In 15 years, we have reached nearly 1,000,000 children in cities around the world. In 2019, we embarked on an exciting, five-year initiative, Project WISE (WASH in Schools for Everyone), focused on serving over 800,000 children in three major growth cities - Addis Ababa and Bahir Dar, Ethiopia and Kolkata, India - with improved water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) infrastructure, WASH behavior change programs, and strengthened school-based menstrual health programs. Looking ahead, we aim to expand our impact to new cities across 3-5 countries.
Splash supports local leaders, institutions, and partners to drive lasting change on the ground. We believe that local capacity to solve problems at scale exists, and our job is to strategically support and magnify the impact of local governments, nonprofit and for-profit actors for the good of children and families across the cities in which we work.
Our core values guide everything we do, including every hiring decision we make. They are:
- People - People first. People second. People third.
- Quality - Beautiful products that function and last.
- Honesty - No drama, no surprises, no BS.
- Joy - Kids at heart, seeing potential everywhere.
- Mistakes - Make them, don’t repeat them.
Splash values the unique skills and experiences everyone brings to the organization, and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants for employment. To learn more, please visit www.splash.org.
This full-time position reports to the Managing Director of Business Development.
The Donor Relations Manager (DRM) is a member of Splash’s Development team and holds a key position for both donor relations and development operations. The DRM will play a critical role in helping Splash reach its ambitious fundraising goals by processing gifts, maintaining accurate donor records, assisting with donor prospecting, supporting team operations and budgeting, and interfacing with donors and the general public in a key front-line fundraising capacity. They will work with the MD of Business Development and other relevant Development staff to increase and enhance donor relations plans, develop a communications cadence for major donors and monthly donors, and work alongside others to help develop and implement a donor relations strategy.
We are seeking someone with strong attention to detail who is devoted to data management and donor relations and ensuring a welcoming environment for donors, partners, and staff. This position offers an excellent opportunity to advance a career in development as well as increase technical skills in Salesforce, a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system that is widely used among for-profit and non-profit companies, and Tableau, a data visualization software tool used across multiple sectors.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead Annual Fund communication strategy to develop growth of donations and improve donor engagement. Partner with Marketing and Communications to craft quarterly newsletters, solicitation emails, other email communications, and social media engagement.
- Manage gift processing, including checks, deposits, and donations through third-party platforms (Classy, Global Giving, Benevity, etc.). Coordinate with Development and Finance staff to ensure proper entry, tracking, and reconciliation of gifts, as well as the overall accuracy of donor records in our Salesforce database.
- Ensure timely and accurate donor acknowledgment. Write thank you notes, send emails, order recognition gifts, and assist team members with special projects to show our gratitude to donors.
- Produce weekly, monthly, and quarterly revenue reports for the Development and Finance departments as well as other reports as needed, including reports for Splash’s Board of Directors. Refine existing reporting process to create analytics reports in Salesforce and Tableau.
- In partnership with the Managing Director of Business Development, manage the donor relations calendar, track departmental expenses against the budget where relevant and compile internal data to help the team measure progress against our work plan.
- Serve as point of contact for maintaining Splash’s information in external nonprofit databases (including GuideStar and Charity Navigator) and state charity registrations (including Harbor Compliance)
- Lead Splash’s annual fund strategy for donations up to $1,200. Manage and develop The Tap, Splash’s recurring monthly donors. Create and implement strategy for the group’s growth and engagement.
- Conduct donor prospecting and qualification to identify new individual and family foundation major gift prospects using DonorSearch and other research tools. Collaborate with the Managing Director of Business Development to perform periodic prospect screenings of Splash’s contact base.
- Support team projects, including e-mail campaigns and special event planning and administration where needed.
- Monitor and respond to external requests received via email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org email accounts.
- Some regional travel may be required for donor meetings.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- At least four years of experience in development at a nonprofit organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of a constituent relationship management (CRM) system or similar donor database. Salesforce experience is preferred.
- Exemplary organizational skills, including ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and prioritize assignments.
- Solid knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and Outlook; interest and ability to quickly learn new technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to listen, communicate effectively, and build trust among people from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- You exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, and sound judgment.
- You prefer being part of a team – you enjoy collaboration and have a genuine interest in learning from others.
- You are innovative and creative – you constantly seek ways to improve quality and accomplish objectives more effectively.
- You have outstanding attention to detail and demonstrated ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-performance culture.
- You use discretion and diplomacy in dealing with donors, Board members, and colleagues, especially in handling confidential information.
- A sense of humor is a definite plus.
- You have a strong interest in global health and international development.
- You have a deep belief in and passion for Splash’s work and the children we serve.
Location, Compensation and Benefits
At Splash, we are committed to living out our mission every day, and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves and support their families.
- This is a full-time position based in the United States and can be performed remotely.
- Splash works across multiple time zones and embraces flexible, dynamic work schedules. Team members are welcome to set standard work hours within their time zone, however some availability to accommodate periodic off-hours work is preferred. This expectation is balanced by the benefit of a self-managed schedule that allows for personal time as needed.
- Splash believes we must invest in you so that you can succeed. This means we will equip you with the resources and technology to excel, and onboard you in a way that highlights Splash’s ethos, culture, history, successes, and challenges.
- The annual salary range for this position is $75,000 - $85,000. This will be reviewed at least annually.
- Splash provides generous benefits including 18 days of paid time off, increasing by 2 days each year up to 28 days, and 11 paid holidays.
- Wellness Fridays (reduced working hours on Fridays); medical, dental, and vision; and a 401K plan with a 3% match.
- We provide additional paid time off for all staff between December 26 to New Year’s Eve to recognize end-of-year stress and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and planning for the holidays.