Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society has an exciting opening as the Director of Development in our Development and Communications Division at our Headquarters office located in Arlington, VA. We are seeking an energetic person who will be responsible for the management of the direction, planning, and execution of fundraising and development related activities for the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society.
The Director of Development is responsible for the growth of fundraising endeavors by the Society, to include the Secretary of the Navy’s Annual Active Duty and Retired Fund Drive on behalf of the Society, supervision of the Charitable Gift Annuity program and major gift fundraising, i.e. corporate, foundation, and special gifts development. Additionally, the Director of Development coordinates development efforts with Society employees, and others, engaged in established Society fundraising activities, i.e. Active-duty Fund Drive, Retiree Fund Drive and Planned Giving Program, and promotes strategies for improving the Society’s annual fundraising efforts, as directed by the VP, CDCO.
Listed below are other areas of responsibilities of the position. This list is not all inclusive.
- Oversees the development of a systematic approach to the identification, solicitation, stewardship and upgrading of annual giving donors.
- Cultivates and keeps current development gift and grant opportunities. Provides periodic status reports to the Society Leadership.
- Assists in developing the Society’s Five Year Fundraising Plan and submits the plan to the President for approval. To ensure the plan is kept current and relevant; updates, reviews and makes recommendations for approval to the VP, CDCO, on an annual basis.
- Develops a yearly plan for the Society’s Annual Fundraising Campaign and submits it to the VP, CDCO for approval. Recommends modifications and/or updates to the plan when required by changes in situation or as directed by the President.
- Maintains a close working relationship with the Society’s officers, members of the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors, the Navy-Marine Corps Ball Committee, and others, to ensure the active, ongoing and smooth functioning of efforts to increase private sector donations to the Society.
- Monitors development progress against established goals and prioritized initiatives to maximize the efficiency, impact and success of the Society’s development program.
- Prepares and submits a report on development efforts, and the results of these efforts, to the Society leadership, on a monthly basis.
- Oversees the development of the Society’s marketing plan for Planned Giving and Charitable Gift Annuity programs. Develops metrics for evaluating success of the plan.
- Actively researches and implements creative methods to market the Society’s fundraising and development programs to a broad base of philanthropic funding sources.
- Collects, maintains and analyzes fundraising statistics so as to adjust the Society’s fundraising policies and development plans, as needed.
- Develops and manages the following portfolios:
- Prospective and demonstrated major and deferred gift donors.
- Prospective and demonstrated planned gift donors.
- Prospective and demonstrated corporate and foundation donors.
- Cooperates and coordinates with the VP, CDCO, by providing assistance in the preparation of the annual communication plan to effectively market fundraising programs, promote participation and engender leadership support, with an appreciation for various market segments.
- Assists with preparing an annual Expenditure Plan that supports the Society’s Annual Fundraising Campaign. Submits for review and approval, to the President.
- Assists with development and implementation of the Society’s Strategic Plan by developing fundraising plans aligned with the Society’s ongoing needs and priorities.
- Provides leadership and guidance for the professional development of the Society’s development and fundraising staff.
- Evaluates the performance of Development staff members on an annual basis, or as required.
- Adheres to all NMCRS policies and procedures.
- BA/BS degree from an accredited university.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft office suite.
- Graduate degree from an accredited university.
- Five to seven of proven success in creating and managing a diverse fundraising portfolio, with preference for experience at a similar nonprofit
- Demonstrated comfort engaging with corporate, philanthropic and high-net-worth donors and a track record of securing six-figure gifts
- Exceptional project management skills, including deep understanding of tactical fundraising systems (e.g. prospect tracking and scheduling, CRM maintenance, etc.) essential
- Experience with managing budgets and budget forecasting
- Experience in planning special events that could directly support fundraising and development endeavors.
- Prior military experience
Additional Required Characteristics:
- Mature, poised and articulate; capable of engaging with major donors and prospects, senior staff members, senior military officers, Board of Directors, and corporate executives.
- Must be well organized, attentive to detail, and able to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team.
- Ability to manage multiple, competing projects in a complex organizational setting.
- Receives guidance and general supervision from the Society’s Vice President, Chief Development and Communications Officer.
- Supervises all employees assigned to the Development and fundraising Department and may supervise vendors/contractors, as assigned.
Interested parties please visit: Director of Development - Headquarters to access the online application for this posting.
The closing date for this opportunity is Friday, May 22, 2020. This position is located in Arlington, VA and is not subject to remote work. Additionally, must be able to begin employment within 30 days of job offer. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background screening.
Preference will be given to those applicants who have prior experience with the Society as a volunteer or employee. Although we acknowledge receipt of all applications, only those selected for interviews will receive additional notification. Visit NMCRS on the web at www.nmcrs.org. E.O.E.
How To Apply
All applicants must provide a resume and apply via our online portal.