Organization Summary: Prep for Prep is an education and leadership development program that creates ethical and effective leaders who reflect our diverse society. Prep identifies New York City’s most promising students of color, prepares them for success at the nation's top independent schools throughout the Northeast, and supports their academic and personal growth through college graduation. Today, over 5,000 students and alumni in the Prep for Prep Community are leaders in every field imaginable
Position Summary: The Director of Alumni Affairs (DAA) is a strategic partner and fundraiser who reports to the Vice President for External Affairs (VP) and works collaboratively with the Associate Vice President for Development (AVP) to advance the life-transforming work of Prep for Prep through annual giving, major gift support, special events, and alumni engagement.
As a member of the department’s senior leadership, the DAA drives fundraising initiatives and life-long engagement across Prep for Prep’s alumni community that builds generations of leaders who promote Prep’s core values, engage friends and supporters in Prep’s work, and help to advance our mission through volunteerism, mentoring, networking, and philanthropy.
The focus of this position is to build relationships that enhance participant, alumni, donor, and community stakeholder loyalty to and engagement in Prep, to develop and deepen a life-long sense of community among alumni, and to facilitate ways in which alumni can give back to the program.
• Providing responsive leadership in activating, supporting, and working collaboratively with key stakeholders and partners, including the Alumni Council, Committees, and Affinity Groups, as well as the External Affairs teams (Alumni Affairs, Development & Communications), Program staff, Finance, and Administration Offices, and the Executive Office.
• In coordination with the Development team, executing fundraising strategies through moves management to ensure that alumni and their contacts are identified, cultivated, solicited, and stewarded to expand Prep’s base of support and increase fundraising goals to meet organizational growth and sustainability.
• Directing all aspects of the annual Alumni Giving Campaign, including special appeals, fund-raising events, and major gift initiatives.
• Oversee information management of alumni, ensuring that contact and demographic information is correct and up-to-date, that milestones (marriages, births, graduations, and other special announcements) are recorded and acknowledged, and that database/CRM systems align with best practices and functionality to execute a rigorous alumni engagement and philanthropy program.
• Manage a robust annual schedule of alumni events, maintaining the vitality of existing social, cultural, and networking gatherings as well as developing new programs relevant to the mission and in response to community needs and societal issues.
• In coordination with the Communications team, oversee all Alumni Affairs communication, including e-news, announcements, social media, invitations, content, and functionality of alumni-related pages of the website, and other digital and print communication.
Qualifications, Skills, Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Three - five years of experience working in Development with increasing levels of responsibility and a demonstrated track record of raising funds.
• Experience managing or leading a team, including part-time entry-level to full-time mid-level professionals.
• Must be an excellent communicator, problem solver and project leader, adept at managing multiple and competing priorities in a timely, efficient manner.
• Ability to work well with colleagues, community stakeholders, and supporters from a range of backgrounds and experiences.
• Ability to exercise sound judgement, provide strategic thought leadership, and interact well with a variety of constituent groups.
• Proficient in the use of database/CRM technology, social media, and other online applications to maximize the use of technology to meet key department and organizational objectives.
Prep for Prep is an equal opportunities employer
Please email a cover letter and resume with the subject line “Director of Alumni Affairs”