Mission Statement: The Volunteer English Program connects community-wide volunteers with adult English Language Learners to provide one-to-one tutoring and cultural enrichment that empowers immigrants to be successful within our communities.
Position & Purpose: The development associate position will serve to support the VEP’s organizational 501.c.3 nonprofit strategic efforts to diversify and maintain consistent funding streams which directly impacts the ability to deliver all program services.
This is a permanent, salaried, 24-hour per week, 52 weeks per year position that reports directly to the executive director. The development associate may be called upon at times to succeed the director during planned or unplanned leaves of absence at which time, the position reports directly to the President of the Board of Directors.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- In collaboration with the executive director, research and cultivate donor/funder relationships in order to maximize the potential for successful funding.
- Write and submit targeted proposals, cases for support, and individualized presentations.
- Maintain the organization’s fundraising software system (GrantHub) for the purpose of scheduling grant proposals, tracking required supporting documents, and assisting in creating the annual development matrix.
- Utilize the VEP’s relational data management system (CiviCRM) to report on relevant statistics and trends which impact the direction of funding and public communications.
- Develop positive working relationships with program coordinators, tutors, students, and other partners, in order to collect and measure metrics that may identify future funding needs or opportunities.
- Participate in community networking events in order to promote a welcoming and collaborative environment for the program, its non-native speakers, and engagement with local communities.
- Demonstrate a personal understanding and commitment to supporting new and long term immigrant community members.
- Maintain and promote high standards of ethical practice in the field of grant writing and fund development.
- Develop a working knowledge of the organization’s strategic, operational, and financial objectives in order to effectively execute the annual development plan.
Education and/or Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in nonprofit Management, Public Planning, International Relations, Social Services, Adult Continuing Education, or related field required
- 3-5 years of progressive development and communications experience required
- Experienced in using a constituent relational database, CiviCRM, or similar software
- Experienced in using GrantHub or comparable grant management software
- Proficient working knowledge of MOS, Social Media, and web-based applications, including Google Drive
- Excellent English verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, volunteers, and members of the community
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
This position requires a strong ability to:
- Plan, direct, and manage tasks with high levels of autonomy and productivity
- Meet multiple deadlines
- Follow up with all communications in a timely manner
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times
- Interact with all individuals with courtesy and respect and in accordance with the organization’s non-discrimination policy and practices
The Volunteer English Program’s mission is guided by the following guiding principles and vision. It is through a supportive and collaborative environment that we achieve success for and with our adult language learners.
Guiding Principles - In all of our work and interactions, we seek to be welcoming, compassionate, understanding, and inspired.
Vision - Volunteers will power our work and personify a spirit of generosity and openness. As a result, our communities will be enriched by the experiences and contributions of immigrants, and they will have the essential language and cultural skills needed to find their place, their purpose, and their voice.