POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Chief Financial & Operations Officer
LOCATED IN: Raleigh, North Carolina
ABOUT JOHN REX ENDOWMENT
The John Rex Endowment is a private philanthropic foundation that supports an environment where children and families in greater Wake County live healthy lives. The John Rex Endowment was created in 2000 as the result of the purchase of Rex Healthcare by the University of North Carolina Health Care System. The foundation is governed by a 13-person Board of Directors and managed by a staff of 5 employees. Together, they oversee an operating budget of $1.2 million and financial assets of $80 million. The John Rex Endowment makes grant awards of $2-$3 million annually, with between 30 and 60 grants active at a time.
In 2018, John Rex Endowment adopted its current Strategic Roadmap, which confirms the foundation’s role in building the effectiveness of non-profit organizations and shaping policy at the community and system level so Wake County children and their families are safe, healthy, and living to their full potential. The Endowment board and staff have made a commitment to learn about race and systemic racism, incorporate a racial equity lens in all of its work, and develop the internal capacity to become an anti-racist organization.
To learn more, visit the www.johnrexendowment.org
THE OPPORTUNITY & NATURE OF WORK
The Chief Financial & Operations Officer (CFOO) manages the financial and business operations of John Rex Endowment. Working with both internal and external resources, the CFOO will oversee the finance, human resources, information technology, facilities management, and general administrative functions.
The Chief Financial & Operations Officer reports to the President & CEO. The CFOO will join a team committed to ensuring Wake County children are safe, healthy, and living to their full potential. The successful candidate will be self-starting and an effective collaborator who works well with small teams and shared decision-making, embraces change, is passionate about child well-being, and is excited about the future of the John Rex Endowment. The successful candidate will have a clear commitment to racial equity and understand the importance of centering equity to achieve the mission of the Endowment.
Major responsibilities of the Chief Financial & Operations Officer include (but may not be limited to):
Financial Management, Accounting, and Investments
• Establish/maintain/ensure compliance with financial policies, procedures, and internal controls, including proper separation of duties and adherence to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and local, state, and federal regulations.
• Manage accounting/financial operations including cash disbursements (grant and operating), payroll, tax filings, general ledger postings, monthly reconciliations and analyses, monthly financial reporting, budget monitoring, and external reporting.
• Ensure the accuracy of financial statements and financial reporting and provide financial forecasting and strategies
to meet the Endowment’s strategic goals.
• Drive the annual budget process, working with team members to identify operating expenses, capital expenditures,
and program and grant budgets. Ensure compliance with IRS payout rules and self-imposed spending policy
• Manage annual audit, preparation and filing of Form 990-PF, issuance of Forms 1099, and all other tax reporting
requirements. Serve as the liaison to the Endowment’s CPA firm by preparing all required financial records and
reports for the audit and tax returns.
• Serve as the primary interface with the Board Treasurer and Finance and Audit Committee and participate in the
process of infusing a racial equity lens into the financial practices of the Endowment.
• Serve as the primary liaison to the outsourced investment management firm. Monitor financial accounts and
investments and ensure adherence to John Rex Endowment’s investment policies, including the focus on racial
equity in investing practices.
• Ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of John Rex Endowment’s business operations.
• Manage the implementation of information technology at the Endowment. Ensure effective internal controls and
cyber security to safeguard assets.
• Ensure effective facilities management and maintenance of the Endowment’s office building.
• Establish and apply risk management policies and procedures, including business insurance, compliance, and records
• Offer recommendations for enhancing operations, improving vendor-provided services, diversifying our vendor
base, and maximizing operational investments.
Human Resources Management
• Develop, implement, and manage HR policies and procedures that create an equitable and safe environment and
ensure equitable practices in hiring, compensation, onboarding, performance management, conflict resolution,
retention, development, and employment practices.
• Manage and regularly evaluate the Endowment’s benefits programs.
• Understand and apply applicable laws, policies, and workplace procedures to ensure timely, consistent, and
• Source and manage relationships with consultants, contractors, vendors, and other resources required to carry out
the responsibilities of the position. Prepare and administer contracts and consulting agreements.
• Provide staff support to the Board of Directors. Attend board and board committee meetings, as appropriate,
reporting on financial and operational activities and issues and participate in equity infusion and change.
• Serve as a learning partner, providing oversight and guidance, for the Operations Coordinator.
• Serve as a model for an organizational culture where core values are understood and lived out by staff.
• Ensure equitable policies and practices are in place for all aspects of areas of responsibility. Communicate and
exhibit a commitment to equity in all internal and external relationships.
• Represent the Endowment in the community with grant-funded partners and other funders as needed.
• Identify, respond to, and manage other work as assigned or required to ensure organizational success.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS, AND ATTRIBUTES OF THE CHIEF FINANCIAL & OPERATIONS OFFICER
The Chief Financial & Operations Officer must demonstrate a firm commitment to and passion for the mission of the John Rex Endowment. In addition, the preferred candidate will ideally hold a myriad of attributes, skills, and qualifications among those listed below:
• Leadership experience in a finance and operations role; CPA with audit or tax experience preferred
• Considerable knowledge of policies, procedures, principles, controls, methods, and techniques of financial management
• Strong understanding of, and extensive professional experience, with:
o Accounting/GAAP principles, particularly for nonprofit organizations
o Tax requirements for private foundations
o Budgeting and forecasting
o Financial statement preparation and reporting
o Cash flow management
o Account reconciliations
o Accounts payable
o Banking services
o Investment oversight
• Management-level responsibility for human resources, IT, facilities management, and general administrative
• Experience working in foundation, nonprofit, and/or human/social services agencies
• Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and deliver against deadlines while maintaining the flexibility necessary
to adapt, respond, and meet the needs of the organization
• Great attention to detail and a willingness to be hands-on to achieve goals
• Enthusiastic approach to work, with the humility and attitude to work effectively in a team environment and
contribute to team building and culture
• Demonstrated ability to develop positive, productive professional relationships with diverse stakeholders
• Proven ability to express thoughts, perceptions, and ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; ability to
project confidence and knowledge when speaking publicly
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively, embrace innovation, and implement tactically
• Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office; experience using accounting software products
How To Apply
Armstrong McGuire & Associates, based in Raleigh, NC, is conducting this search in partnership with the John Rex Endowment. To apply, click on the link to the Chief Financial & Operations Officer position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. You will see instructions for uploading a cover letter, resume, and professional references. Please provide all requested information to be considered; failure to do so will remove you from the process. In case of any technical problems, contact email@example.com. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or directly from third-party posting sites.