About Urban Ed Academy
Urban Ed Academy was founded as part of a strategy to inspire excitement for learning in young boys of color by matching them with mentors who looked like them. From 2010 to 2016, SMART Saturdays introduced over 800 boys in San Francisco to STEM project-based learning experiences led by Black and Brown men.
Through our SMART+ Program, UEA continues to serve underrepresented middle school-aged students by providing engaging, culturally relevant opportunities for expanded learning informed by project-based, experiential enrichment activities with the goal of helping students learn and apply entrepreneurial and STEAM-based lessons to real-world settings and situations. In addition, recreational and social development activities provide opportunities for students to interact with local mentors of color and enable them to see themselves in the future.
About the Role
We seek leaders who believe in our vision and want to contribute to impacting the youth in our communities. You will work with the UEA's Program Coordinator to expose students to local STEAM-centered entrepreneurial enrichment and learning opportunities. Be willing to learn. Take action to engage and inspire our SMART+ students!
Your Leadership Responsibilities
- Plan and lead entrepreneurial and STEAM-centered activities that boost youth’s academic achievement and strengthen their critical thinking and social skills.
- Prepare and organize teaching materials, including long-term, unit, and daily lesson plans.
- Supervise students
- Collaborate with the team to create a safe and engaging learning environment
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have completed 48 college units or the Instructor Proficiency Exam (IPE). UEA will offer IPE if credit requirement is not met
- Pass DOJ/FBI criminal background check
- Pass TB screening (negative result)
Our Ideal Candidatate...
- Is able to identify with the students and families we serve
- Has a passion that ignites a “can do” passion within the young people we serve
- Models the behavior and vitality needed to lead and nurture growth
- Desires to deeply connect with the community
- Can create, harness, and refine youthful energy to promote a spirit of innovation.
Our Commitment and Your Commitment
- Compensation: Starting at $25/hour
- A pathway to higher leadership positions
- Hours: Must be able to work preselected 8-hour Saturday shifts through the 2022-2023 school year (summer hours available Jun - Jul, M-F, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM).
Apply if you are up for a worthy challenge!
If you are ready for a journey to inspire children to become the leaders of tomorrow, then we are ready to meet and learn more about you and what you can bring to our SMART+ students!
How To Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com; subject line: Youth Program Leader Applicant