Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct a search for a new Vice President, Volunteer Engagement for International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), a 70,000 member-strong global trade association. ICSC’s mission is to ensure the retail real estate industry is broadly recognized for the integral role it plays in the social, civic, and economic vibrancy of communities across the globe. This full time, onsite position is for immediate hire and is based in the organization’s headquarter offices in New York, New York.
Did you know: Millennials do 70% of their shopping in-store? That physical stores generate 90.7% of all retail sales? And that retail real estate-related employment equals almost 34 million U.S. jobs, which is more than 1 in 6 jobs in the country?
ICSC has been serving the retail real estate industry since 1957. ICSC hosts hundreds of events each year providing members the ability to network and explore partnerships. ICSC also provides professional development via education and certification courses for members and plays a key role in developing relationships and dialogue with decisionmakers in the public sector.
ICSC is driven by:
Building Communities: retail real estate properties offer a place to hang out after work, walk around with friends or family, and experience life offline.
Fueling Economies: retail real estate properties are essential to economic development, largely because of the property and sales taxes they generate. They also create jobs, buoy GDPs, and help drive the U.S. economy.
Inspiring Innovation: retail real estate will shape the social practices, business policies, and technologies of the future. ICSC stays on the cutting edge of industry trends so members are equipped to lead their businesses into the future.
Currently, around 3,000 members volunteer with ICSC. The Vice President, Volunteer Engagement is a strategic, visionary leader responsible for developing, executing and overseeing all member volunteer engagement and operations. Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Membership and Strategy, this role will build out and invest in volunteer programming to more deeply and strategically engage members in volunteer activities that align with ICSC’s mission and vision.
Major duties of this role include:
- Create and implement new volunteer programming and build on current volunteer programming.
- Actively partner with other executive leadership (i.e. VP of Membership, EVP of Programs & Events, SVP of Marketing & Communications, etc.) to engage volunteers across ICSC events and initiatives.
- Design and implement new processes and guidelines around volunteer selection, training and overall volunteer engagement.
- Serve as the primary liaison to ICSC’s volunteer leaders (a select group in each state) and volunteers.
Key questions for this individual will be:
- How do you organize volunteer opportunities in a way that provides a great volunteer experience?
- How do you recognize volunteers for their contributions and help them feel valued as a part of the ICSC community?
- How do you forward the strategic vision of ICSC via volunteer engagement?
In addition to building out programs, this role will have the opportunity to build out an internal volunteer engagement team to help further the department’s mission in alignment with the overall member engagement strategy. This individual will also work closely with a Board Committee focused on volunteer engagement/services.
The ideal candidate for this position is an energetic, people-person with leadership presence who is execution-oriented and enjoys performing outreach to volunteers. We are seeking someone who will thrive in an innovative, entrepreneurial environment and who can convert ideas into action. This individual must be passionate about engaging member volunteers around various initiatives that further ICSC’s mission and vision.
- Develop and implement plans for recruitment and cultivation of ICSC volunteers.
- Develop and implement volunteer management practices to ensure that all volunteers receive effective on-boarding, support, evaluation and recognition. Lead the development of training programs and materials for volunteer leaders.
- Serve as primary liaison to ICSC’s volunteer and communicate regularly with this community.
- Organize engagement of volunteers to clarify purpose and responsibilities and ensure that volunteer activities align with organizational goals.
- Streamline and oversee the volunteer selection process.
- Establish a process to track volunteer participation.
- Work collaboratively with teams that are engaged with ICSC volunteers and ensure a consistently positive volunteer experience.
- Identify and execute recognition and appreciation opportunities for volunteers and volunteer leaders.
- Working with the ICSC Communications Team, draft communication and collateral to promote volunteer opportunities.
- Work with the Membership Department to develop ways and means of engaging a broader segment of the membership in volunteer activities.
- With the Membership Department, work to find synergies and avenues of collaboration in promoting membership recruitment and engagement.
- Lead, motivate, and retain a high performing staff. Ensure full engagement, optimal productivity levels, and attainment of team/individual goals.
- Travel between 25-50% depending on the time of year/events.
- Minimum BA/BS in communications, marketing, business or related field.
- At least 10 years of experience in volunteer management and engagement, including experience with various volunteer programming within the same organization (i.e. government relations, mentoring young professionals, etc.). Also seeking experience with a large number of volunteers (500+).
- At least 7 years’ experience working in a member-oriented organization such as a trade association or a client-service company (where members pay dues).
- Proven record in executing successful change management initiatives with stakeholders.
- Diplomatic, customer service orientation, and polished, confident demeanor a must.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; accomplished public speaker.
- Adept at Microsoft Office products, especially PowerPoint.
Compensation and Benefits:
This role offers a competitive starting base salary and bonus dependent on performance. ICSC also offers generous Medical, Dental and Vision benefits (including 100% employer-paid options), a great vacation program, commuter benefits, and more!
This impactful leadership role offers the opportunity to work with a devoted, mission driven team in a highly productive and fast-paced working environment located in exciting New York City.
Applications and Nominations:
ICSC has retained the services of Scion Executive Search, a national executive search firm specializing in mission-driven organization recruitment, to assist in conducting this important search. For immediate consideration please apply with your resume and cover letter, in Microsoft Word format if possible, via: https://www.scionstaffing.com/jobportal/#/jobs/5650.
Please address questions about this opportunity to:
Scion Executive Search
Attn: Rebecca Lerol
Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and continue on a confidential basis until an appointment is made.
About Our Firm:
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Born out of the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership for your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission. Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches. Information about our firm and successes can be found online at http://www.scionexecutivesearch.com.
Scion is an equal opportunity employer and service provider committed to not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected class. We are committed to the principals of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent.
ICSC EEO Statement:
ICSC is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws prohibiting harassment and discrimination.
All hiring decisions are made without consideration of gender or gender identity, color, race, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, childbirth or a related medical condition, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment with ICSC, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
ICSC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on any characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. An employee who has engaged in discrimination, harassment and/or retaliation in violation of this policy will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
How To Apply
For immediate consideration please apply with your resume and cover letter, in Microsoft Word format if possible, via: https://www.scionstaffing.com/jobportal/#/jobs/5650