About the Internet Society
The Internet Society (ISOC) is the world’s trusted independent source of leadership for Internet policy, technology standards, and future development. Based on its principled vision and substantial technological foundation, the Internet Society works with its members and chapters around the world to promote the continued evolution and growth of the open Internet through dialog among companies, governments, and other organizations around the world. This is a 2 year employment term.
About the Position
Internet Society Technical Experts are responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing community-led Internet development projects, capacity development activities, and development of communities to sustain the Internet across the globe. The Technical Expert for the Middle East will work primarily in the Middle East and will be responsible for on-the-ground implementation of ISOC projects aimed at fostering Internet growth within that region. The individual will have a solid reputation within the regional Internet community and the ability to build relationships and collaborate closely across a wide range of stakeholders.
Location: Middle East or North Africa. Alternatively, the candidate may live outside of the region, but must have the ability to travel extensively in the region.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide visible leadership and promote the adoption of sound Internet practices to various stakeholder groups, including network operators, government representatives, business leaders, and technical engineers, among others.
- Implement ISOC projects aimed at fostering Internet growth, with a particular focus on the Middle East.
- Organize, lead and conduct a range of Internet technical trainings, capacity-building, best practices, and technical workshops, and stakeholder discussions in order to advance networking skills, Internet operational knowledge, build local capacity and promote the use of best practices.
- Create innovative approaches, materials, and tools to enhance the delivery and effectiveness of current programmes, and develop new project concepts to advance ISOC initiatives in the region with existing project teams and with partners.
- Develop partnerships with Middle East Internet community in order to identify capacity building needs and facilitate regional Internet collaboration, information sharing, training, and problem solving.
- Be a source of technological expertise to the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Internet Technology specialist with at least seven years of demonstrated operational experience in community led Internet development and an in-depth understanding of the Middle East Internet technology environment
- Extensive knowledge of Internet architecture, design and technologies such as routing protocols, data center operations, DNS/DNSSEC, and/or the peering landscape
- Active participant in the IETF, network operator groups, corporate network or peering coordination function, or any other technical environment in which a good understanding of the working of the Internet network operations, interconnection, and peering is critical to success
- Proven experience in developing consensus on Internet standards, operational solutions and/or best practice or a track record of creating collaborative communities
- Strong communications and presentation skills with the ability to articulate technical concepts to diverse audiences including senior business executives, government officials, network operators, developers and other highly technical groups
- Solid reputation within the Middle East Internet community ideally with past participation in MENOG events
- Experience of working in international environments with sensitivity to different cultures and working practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Arabic
- Commitment to organization’s mission, values and plans for growth.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively
How To Apply