Our mission: increase investment and participation in 4‑H programs so we can support the next generation of true young leaders. National 4‑H Council (Council) is committed to providing leadership and resources so that 4‑H programs are available to youth across the US. Our executive leadership team and Board of Trustees are dedicated to the belief that helping kids achieve their boldest dreams empowers not only them but also our communities to thrive today, tomorrow, and beyond. Council supports national and state 4‑H programs with a focus on fundraising, brand management, communications, and legal and fiduciary services. Council also oversees the National 4‑H Conference Center, and the National 4‑H Supply Service, the authorized agent for items bearing the 4‑H Name and Emblem.
Council is seeking a Strategic Relations Manager responsible for assisting in the implementation of Trustee, donor and alumni development and engagement strategies. The Manager will assist the Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) and other Executive Team members with creating, communicating and executing long- and short-term initiatives within Council and within the 4-H system. Additionally, the Manager will develop alliances and engagement opportunities in line with Council’s strategic plan. She/he will report directly to the CSO.
Board Development and Engagement
- Support the design, development, and implementation of a long-term Board development plan, including board recruitment, and orientation and engagement, and on behalf of the Executive Office.
- Working in close partnership with the Resource Development team, develop customized orientation/engagement opportunities for new and current Trustees.
- Manage logistics and prepare communications for standing and ad hoc Board Committees.
- Develop market research and gather intelligence in support of Council strategic initiatives.
- Partner with the CSO and Chief Financial Officer to communicate and implement Council’s annual planning and budgeting process.
- Support the measurement and analysis of Council’s long- and short-term strategic planning efforts, including a quarterly Scorecard submitted to the Board’s Governance Committee.
- Provide overall support as needed to Council’s Board of Trustees and Executive Team.
- Support the CSO and Executive Team in the execution of strategic objectives; specifically, elevating 4-H’s role in expanding economic mobility in America.
- Support the CSO in convening land-grant university leaders, helping connect 4-H outcomes to university-wide goals.
- Support relationships with state Cooperative Extension leaders via the National Extension Directors and Administrators annual conference.
- Mobilize Trustees as advocates for Council and strategic objectives. Help mobilize support within the 4-H community.
- Support the Executive Office in driving engagement with principals/Congressional members and staffers across the Executive and Legislative branches of the U.S. government to further develop 4-H’s brand and its impact.
- Create/build relationships with Congressional offices of alumni and supporters of 4-H to develop and/or steward federal funding.
- Leverage the 4-H Caucus as a tool to increase meetings/events with Trustees and Extension leadership on Capitol Hill
Skills and Qualification
- Bachelor’s degree required. A minimum of two to three years in the nonprofit sector and, or corporate business planning and donor/influencer stewardship roles, required.
- Familiarity with strategic and financial processes, including budgeting and project planning
- Prior experience on Capitol Hill or within the Executive branch a plus.
- Experience managing projects from needs analysis, requirements gathering, budgeting, and design/prototyping through development, implementation, and process improvement.
- Experience in cross-functional positions within a corporate or non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated ability to craft and communicate a substantive and accurate message to a wide variety of audiences without line authority for implementation.
- Proven experience working with a diverse team across multiple business units.
- Understanding of higher education structures, especially public/land-grant universities and Cooperative Extension is a plus.
- Strong analytical approach in translating concepts into more concrete frameworks and actionable solutions; the capacity to understand, pro-actively use and develop management, financial and revenue reports.
- Ability to professionally engage and support Trustees and their organizations/staff.
- Ability to lead and inspire colleagues, to work independently, and prioritize responsibilities.
- Passion for collaboration and the ability to move ideas into action. Multi-dimensional, creative thinker with the ability to accommodate diverse viewpoints.
Travel Requirements: Travel may be necessary for up to 20% of the time (local, regional, national) by air, car, and/or rail.
How To Apply
Submitted updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Strategic Relations" in the subject line.