About Proteus Fund
Proteus Fund connects philanthropy to the frontlines of social justice. We strive to advance the interconnected goals of racial, gender, queer, and disability justice and an inclusive, fully representative democracy. To do our work effectively and with significant impact, Proteus Fund creates dynamic relationships between progressive philanthropists, movement leaders, and other allies that go far beyond transactional grantmaking.
Our trusted position among funders and field actors enables us to support, both through collaborative grantmaking and other efforts, a broad array of strategies to achieve social justice victories. Our donor collaboratives are best-in-class models for bridging responsive philanthropy and cutting-edge social justice movements for deeper impact, aligning resources to address critical needs, and shaping strategy alongside our partners.
Through our fiscal sponsorship program, Proteus Fund partners with initiatives which play a powerful role in the larger ecosystem for social change, providing them with tailored and comprehensive organizational support.
To date, Proteus Fund, and its affiliated 501(c)(4) organization, the Proteus Action League (PAL), have distributed $250 million in grants, and provided other essential tools to support activists, advocates, networks, coalitions, and issue-specific campaigns at the local, state, and national level.
Proteus Fund is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Amherst, Massachusetts. Our staff is based across the entire United States.
Proteus operates and pursues its work based on a set of values synergistic with our vision and mission:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Integrity and professionalism;
- Transparency and accountability; and
- Respect and humility
About RISE Together Fund + RISE Together Action Fund
The RISE Together Fund (RTF) and RISE Together Action Fund (RTAF) support cutting-edge Black, African, Arab, Middle Eastern, Muslim, and South Asian (BAMEMSA) field-led work. RTF bolsters its national grantmaking with programming, field building, and technical assistance to build and expand the capacity of the BAMEMSA movement toward racial, gender, and queer justice and a fully inclusive and representative democracy.
Since 2008, RTF has funded directly impacted voices to lead policy and social change in BAMEMSA communities. RTF is the first and only national donor collaborative dedicated to supporting the critical work of BAMEMSA individuals and organizations facing anti-Muslim targeting, hate crimes, and xenophobia. RTF’s grantees span 18 states, and since 2008, RTF has granted more than $20 million and reached more than 500 organizations. In 2023, RTF will receive a $6 million gift from philanthropist MacKenzie Scott, the donor collaborative’s single largest gift. RTF has elected to receive this transformational gift over four years to sustain and build its future, while allowing its fundraising and strategic partnerships program the opportunity to grow and meet the challenge of the increased budget.
Ongoing violence and discrimination against BAMEMSA communities underscore the need for a deeper commitment from philanthropy. For every 100 dollars spent by social justice philanthropy, only about one dollar is spent in the BAMEMSA field.
Under the supervision of the RISE Together Fund Program Director, the Strategic Partnerships Officer plays a lead role in addressing this imbalance and ensuring RTF has the resources to meet the increasing needs of the BAMEMSA field and communities. Specifically, the Strategic Partnerships Officer oversees the design and execution of RTF’s fundraising strategy by unlocking the full potential of donor partners through strategic long-term relationships and organizational partnerships.
Essential Job Functions
- Leads annual and long-term fundraising planning, goal setting, and execution with a view toward meeting and exceeding annual and multi-year fundraising goals
- Develops individualized goals, strategies, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for each current and prospective donor partner to ensure an authentic sense of strategic partnership with each donor and supports the Program Director and Program Officers in their fundraising goals
- Provides direction within RTF to analyze revenue trends and forecast accordingly
- Prepares regular fundraising activity and revenue reports for Program Director and other stakeholders
- Drafts compelling donor outreach and stewardship materials and maintains primary responsibility for developing messages, strategy memos, talking points, and materials for all fundraising efforts
- Writes, edits, and submits proposal narratives and reports to foundations and individual donors in collaboration with the Proteus Fund’s donor services team and the Program Associate
- Partners with the Proteus Fund finance team to review and provide direction on the annual budget and monthly reconciliation process alongside the Program Director, and ensures timely communication of financial reporting and budget needs to donor partners
- With the support of the Program Associate and donor services, ensures Proteus Fund’s organizational donor management system is up to date with regard to all prospective and current donor engagements, reporting and proposal deadlines, and progress on all development-related projects
- Provides support, guidance, and training to grantee partners and other field leaders, and stewards resources to field organizations through recommendations and introductions to donor partners where appropriate
- Coordinates closely with program staff to effectively share RTF’s work and impact within philanthropy, and plans engaging semiannual donor partner meetings. Conceives and implements special events for current or prospective donor partners, including the implementation of tailored follow-ups so that special events are part an arc of authentic strategic partnership
- Plays a key role with the Director in developing RTF’s communications strategy with an eye toward promoting RTF’s work for fundraising purposes. Ensures RTF communications (website, email, social media) are consistent with fundraising objectives. Writes, edits, and coordinates the production of promotional materials for RTF, including a year-end report and email updates on RTF activities for external audiences with the support of the Program Associate and in collaboration with Proteus Fund’s communications consultant
- Coordinates with and meets regularly with other Proteus Fund development staff to ensure consistency and coordination in donor outreach and stewardship efforts
Experience + Alignment to Culture + Values
The Strategic Partnerships Officer has five years or more of formal or informal experience in fundraising, which could include writing proposals and reports to foundations and individual donors, stewarding, soliciting, and closing gifts, or other equivalent development experience.
They possess a deep understanding of the BAMEMSA experience, a commitment to advancing the rights of the BAMEMSA field, and a track record of working with diverse communities. The Strategic Partnerships Officer possesses a working knowledge on the substance, dynamics, trends, and priorities within philanthropy, including experience working with donor partners and applying best practices in donor partner cultivation, stewardship, and grant writing. We value candidates who can demonstrate capability and articulate how prior experiences will help them transition into this role.
Additional Requirements + Experience Include:
- A working knowledge or commitment to learning the substance, dynamics, and priorities within the field of racial justice and civil rights and demonstrates sensitivity and cultural competency related to the work of the BAMEMSA field.
- Excellent writing, editing, and research skills
- Strong attention to detail, particularly concerning funder specifications and deadlines
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills
- Excellent project management and organizational skills. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple high-priority tasks and responsibilities under tight deadlines and schedules while inspiring others to do the same
- Ability and willingness to adapt as goals and community needs shift.
- Strong financial acumen to manage budgets
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, including the ability to facilitate disagreement
- Experience with identifying and stewarding new relationships, especially along lines of difference
Alignment to Culture + Values
- Commitment to the mission and values of progressive social justice movements and RTF’s commitment to resourcing the BAMEMSA field equitably
- Cultural responsiveness and an alignment with our values and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- Strong relationship building, high ethical standards, discretion, and tact
- Personal qualities of humility and empathy
This position reports to Proteus Fund’s Director, RISE Together Fund and has no direct reports.
Compensation + Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position with a salary range of $104,000-$126,000.
Proteus Fund utilizes geographic salary differentials; compensation will be contingent on location.
A highly competitive benefits package is provided, including:
- Medical and dental benefits for employees and eligible dependents available on first day of work
- 401(k) retirement savings account with an organization contribution of 10% of annual salary
- Three weeks paid vacation in first year of employment; four weeks in subsequent years
- Fifteen sick days per year
- Three personal days per year
- Twelve paid holidays
- Professional development initiatives for growth
- Paid Family Leave
As a reflection of our firm’s commitment to equity and equal pay for all, Cooper Coleman requires that salary ranges or salary starting points be published for every search we conduct. The practice of not posting salaries perpetuates the gender and racial wage gap and discriminates against women, people of color, and other historically excluded populations by causing individuals to negotiate from a disadvantaged starting point.
Location + Travel
This position is fully remote.
Some travel (10-15%) is expected, including donor meetings and events.
EEO + Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Proteus Fund believes that one of the greatest strengths of an organization is the rich diversity of its staff and board and is committed to providing equal employment and promotional opportunities based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, ethnicity, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under the law. Proteus Fund’s policies and practices are to reflect Proteus Fund’s commitment to nondiscrimination in all areas of employment.
Proteus Fund is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Proteus will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact the search consultant leading this search, Paul Towne, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Please note, in an effort to maintain and safeguard staff's health, well-being, and safety, Proteus Fund requires all employees to be vaccinated prior to their employment and adhere to the regular upkeep of COVID-19 vaccination requirements as per CDC recommendations while employed. Proof of the CDC-recommended level of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment with Proteus Fund.
Comprehensive Personal Screening + Reference Check
Before sending your resume for this position, please read it over for accuracy. Cooper Coleman verifies its candidates' employment and academic credentials, where applicable, at the time of offer, and will conduct a background check, not including a credit check, before finalizing an offer.
How To Apply
Submission Instructions (please read carefully)
Cooper Coleman is leading this search on behalf of Proteus Fund. To apply, please visit this link (www.coopercoleman.com/current-searches). Inquiries and nominations of qualified candidates can be sent to:
Kindly use the position title as the subject line of your email. All inquiries will be held in confidence.
A cover letter is not required with your initial application but is welcomed to help us understand your fitness for this role during our initial evaluation. Candidates invited for interviews with the Proteus Fund team will be asked to provide a thoughtful letter of interest indicating their specific qualifications for the opportunity, desire to join Proteus Fund, and connection to its mission.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected.
Cooper Coleman LLC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified candidates and will refer candidates without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or identity, age, ability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.