About The Role
The Sunrise Project is hiring for a full-time Strategic Assistant position. This role will be assisting Senior Strategist Casey Harrell and is housed within the Investor Program. Casey has worked at The Sunrise Project since 2017 and has been integral to launching Global campaigns such as BlackRock’s Big Problem and Vanguard S.O.S. Since 2019, Casey has been living with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), or Lou Gehrigs’ disease. This Strategic Assistant position combines the role of an Executive Assistant with light personal assistant duties with the role of “co-conspirator” with various strategic projects and campaigns.
You are a critical thinker who brings order to chaos, are passionate about the climate justice movement and would take pride in enabling one of the movement’s most effective campaigners to continue winning game-changing victories for the climate movement. You thrive working behind the scenes, yet are comfortable speaking up in large or high-stakes meetings. You are committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion; you are excited by the idea of being an ally to a person with a disability and helping to directly address myriad forms of ableism.
- Provide necessary accommodations to enhance Casey’s participation in meetings, which can include transcribing Casey’s thoughts, verbally repeating for clarity, or understanding Casey’s point of view and acting as a proxy for him if he is not able to attend.
- Support Casey in planning and execution on the bigger picture of his work and the health measures needed to enhance his capacity to succeed.
- Triage and prioritise requests from different campaign partners, stakeholders, and team members.
- Manage and organize work calendar and correspondence, including scheduling and drafting emails, memos, reports, etc.
- Fulfill other campaign needs independent of Casey based upon skill level, interest and available opportunities.
*Due to working full-time while living with a neuromuscular disease, a few job responsibilities will fall outside of typical assistant duties. Applicants do not need to have a medical background to perform these responsibilities.
How Sunrise supports its staff
The Sunrise Project U.S. is committed to creating a workplace that supports our staff to do their best work and develop professionally. We have the following in place to help us achieve that:
- Role-specific: Relocation expense reimbursement of up to 3-5k (depending on distance)
- 401(k) & employer match
- 100% employer paid health, vision and dental coverage
- Five weeks of vacation leave
- Birthday leave (if it’s your birthday, you get a day off)
- Cultural & solidarity leave
- Gifted leave (over Christmas and New Year)
- 12 weeks parental leave after 12 months of service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Laptop (Mac) and accessories
- Commitment to supporting to your professional development (up to $2000 per annum)
- Coaching and management support with regular 1:1 meetings
- Performance reviews and feedback to support you and the team to reflect and grow
- A co-developed initial 3 month work plan to ensure you have clarity on your role and responsibilities
How To Apply
We recognize that racism, sexism, ableism, homophobia, classism and other forms of discrimination creates structural barriers that impact opportunities to formal education and experience. When assessing candidates we look at more than the jobs you've been paid to do but the range of ways you've picked up skills and knowledge throughout your life. This is why we assess candidates on how well they respond to application questions and don’t require a cover letter.
You’ll be taken to Be Applied to complete your application.
The application window will close on 11:59pm, 2nd Oct 2022 PDT