Tides envisions a world of shared prosperity and social change founded on equality & human rights, healthy individuals & communities, a sustainable environment, and quality education for all. Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve society’s toughest problems. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
Tides Advocacy (formerly The Advocacy Fund) is a nonprofit accelerator committed to building a world of shared prosperity and social justice. Founded in 1994, Tides Advocacy accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world’s toughest problems. Tides Advocacy focuses on equality and human rights; a sustainable environment; healthy individuals and communities; education; and economic development. Tides Advocacy services include backbone management services, managing multi-stakeholder collaborations, grantmaking and political and strategic consulting.
The Strategic Advisor will provide a wide range of core client management and strategic support for the Tides Advocacy team. A successful candidate will work as an integral part of the Tides Advocacy team providing excellent client advising while leading our research and evaluation practice. This role will collaborate within the Tides Advocacy team and across departments regarding business development, communications, human resources, operations and finance, event planning, and systems implementation. This role is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule. This role can be based in the New York and San Francisco office, with a possibility of working remotely part or full time.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Client management and cultivation (60%)
- Manage a mixed client portfolio of grantmaking entities and fiscally sponsored organizations in the advocacy and political space
- Provide high-level strategic, financial, and organizational guidance to grantmaking entities and organizations for social impact and mission success
- Deliver high quality service as the single point of contact for clients, ensuring a coordinated and efficient sharing of data, including client communications, systems support, and meetings
- Leverage and deepen expertise to curate relationships and knowledge in a specific issue area (e.g., immigration, education) and serve as a lead of a project portfolio
- Work collaboratively with team members and across departments to address financial and grant management, legal and risk compliance, human resources, and event support for clients
- Develop a pipeline of potential mission-aligned clients and strategic partnerships
- Support operational, evaluative, and strategic efforts for continuous improvement
- Cultivate relationships with individual, foundation, and corporate funding partners
Research and evaluation capacity (30%)
- Lead qualitative and quantitative research regarding field trends in advocacy and political space
- Conduct research and data analysis for reports, case studies, and convenings highlighting trends in issue areas such as criminal justice reform and voting rights
- Collaborate across departments and internal team to produce fact sheets and other collateral for funder and donor materials, conference presentations, and panel talking points
- Utilize a learning and evaluative framework to synthesize financial and other data for cost-to-serve analysis with Finance team
- Curate educational and capacity building materials for existing advocacy/ political organizational clients and the field to support thought leadership
- Plan and support convenings and briefings related to issues areas and political updates
- Work with consultants and partners to track trends and investment opportunities in advocacy/political space
- Lead research on best practices/ lessons learned in the progressive advocacy space
- Work with consultant to implement a learning and evaluation framework for resource allocation and decision making processes for Tides Advocacy
- Work with internal team and clients to leverage data and research on the efficacy of investing in political/advocacy organizations
- Develop and support tracking of impact metrics for continuous learning and performance improvement for internal team and clients
Thought Leadership and Communications (10%)
- Represent Tides Advocacy externally and build collaborative networks across sectors and issue areas
- Research, propose, and present on a regular basis at conferences, gatherings, professional associations and other external events
- Contribute to internal and external bodies of knowledge on innovative organizational models and social impact related to advocacy and political work
- Prepare presentations and materials for conferences and events
- Develop specific issue area expertise and actively engage clients and partners
- Participate in internal and cross-department teams to create materials for events, capacity building services, and business development
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
- Ability to work well on a team in a fast-paced, deadline oriented environment
- Demonstrated commitment to high quality client service and adaptability to evolving client needs
- Strong ability to work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties
- Demonstrated understanding of specific issue and/or industry areas in the philanthropic, political, and/or nonprofit sector
- A strong understanding of the capacity building services, advisory/consulting work, and/or fiscal sponsorship
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret contracts, analyze market trends, model potential solutions, interpret market research, and review technical data
- Possess a strong work ethic and “can do” attitude
- Demonstrated success leading and working with cross-departmental teams
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize amongst multiple commitments, and to drive multiple high profile and complex projects simultaneously in a challenging and fluid environment
- Ability to understand clients’ needs and leverage that knowledge to improve service delivery, deepen relationships and identify new or expanding business opportunities
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 - 7 years in strategic advising, research, evaluation, consulting, capacity building, or fiscal sponsorship work (preferred)
- Core values rooted in social justice, racial equity, and human rights
- Understanding of systemic inequities and inequality within U.S. institutions and policies
- Experience with progressive advocacy and political organizations.
- Successful experience working within diverse populations
- Demonstrated experience with clear written and verbal communications
- Demonstrated experience in adjusting and anticipating needs of executives and clients
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to clearly communicate with others to understand them and to be understood.
- Must be able to read and compose documents so that their intent is easily understood.
- Must be able to lift at least ten pounds from the floor to four (4) feet above the floor.
- Must be able to effectively use a computer and telephone to conduct business.
- Must be able to maneuver between two (2) floors and within small office spaces.
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER EXPRESSING YOUR INTEREST IN WORKING TO SUPPORT TIDES AND WHY YOU ARE QUALIFIED FOR THIS JOB. No phone calls please!
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
How To Apply
Please apply here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=thetides&jobId=207209&lang=en_US&source=CC3