Tides Advocacy is a team of political, legal, and financial experts that identify, connect, and fuel movements for social justice and the health of our democracy. We leverage our 25 year progressive network, navigate the rules, and solve problems in order to make advocacy.
Tides Advocacy has over 85 partners who represent activists, donors, movement leaders, lawyers, researchers, and journalists who are promoting equity, justice, and dignity for all. They are engaged in ballot, electoral, and legislative campaigns as well as public education and charitable activities.
From funder advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, Tides Advocacy gives members of the nonprofit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change they want to see. For more information, please visit tidesadvocacy.org
The Staff Accountant, works with Tides Advocacy staff to provide timely and accurate delivery of accounts payable and accounts receivable services on a daily basis. This role is responsible for preparing month end journal entries and maintaining schedules for various GL accounts along with operational and systems improvement support.
The Staff Accountant is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Accounting and Financial Management (80%)
· Respond to AP/AR requests from internal staff and external clients in a timely manner.
· Prepare month end journal entries and reconcile various accounts by maintaining GL schedules.
· Assist with year-end 1099s and preparation of annual audit.
· Process all Accounts Payable transactions including obtaining appropriate documentation, verifying coding, data entry, processing outgoing wires, ACH, and checks for expedites, and weekly check runs.
· Prepare journal entries for P-Card transactions and track P-card receipts by working with Tides Network’s P-card Administrator.
· Process all incoming checks, wires, ACH and securities including verifying coding, depositing and data entry.
· Support accounting and compliance related to organizational and grant budgets for Tides Advocacy and partners.
· Provide back-up coverage to Finance Operations for partner related accounting questions.
Special Projects (20%)
· Participate in the implementation and improvement of workflows that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
· Support systems improvements and data integrity for financial accounting and grants management systems with operations team.
· Participate in cross departmental and cross organizational teams, financial projects and planning activities as needed.
· Support time tracking and costs to serve analysis.
· Other duties as assigned by the CEO and/or Senior Accountant II.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), nonprofit accounting, and internal control processes.
· Strong motivation and ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks and assignments within a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
· Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems of accounting related issues.
· Demonstrates ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information.
· Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to work collaboratively with internal staff and external clients.
· Proficiency with MS Office, Salesforce, and NetSuite.
Education and Experience:
· Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting.
· 2+ years of experience in Accounts Receivable/Account Payable.
· Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER EXPRESSING YOUR INTEREST IN WORKING TO SUPPORT TIDES ADVOCACY AND WHY YOU ARE QUALIFIED FOR THIS JOB. No phone calls please!
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply. Pursuant
to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Reasonable
accommodation will also be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.