ICA is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented Staff Accountant/Compliance Assistant to join our team. The ideal candidate will be responsible for ensuring that the financial records are accurate and comply with relevant regulations. The successful candidate will also be responsible for monitoring compliance reporting. The Staff Accountant/Compliance Officer will report to the VP of Finance and Administration. The position is based in Oakland, CA with hybrid in-office and remote work.
ICA: NOT BUSINESS AS USUAL
People of color, especially women of color, start businesses at higher rates than white people — but are constrained by structural inequities and often overlooked by mainstream funders. Through our coaching, connections, and capital we partner with, mentor, and invest in underestimated Bay Area entrepreneurs to accelerate great businesses and build an economy that works for all.
This opportunity will put you front and center as we integrate recent growth. You will take our financial and compliance reporting to the next level in a deeply rewarding environment because:
- We partner intensely with our entrepreneurs over years and see the impact of our work daily when we buy their products, watch them create new jobs, and grow the local economy.
- We’re proving there is a better way to structure capital and support racial equity in small business through our unique VC/equity model of financing.
- We act like a fast-paced lean startup – combining the best of the for profit and nonprofit worlds with a laser focus on our entrepreneurs.
This role reports directly to the VP of Finance and Administration and will be responsible for the following:
- Maintains the General Ledger
- Codes invoices, set up new accounts, reconciles accounts, and close the monthly books
- Reconciles bank accounts on a monthly basis and verify deposits
- Reconciles revenue, cash disbursement accounts, payroll, and other cash related accounts; manages accounts receivable collections, notes payable, prepaids, assets and revenue restrictions and releases
- Verifies and completes payment of invoices associated with accounts payable and ensures payments are charged to the appropriate accounts
- Conducts month-end and year-end closures
- Provides outside auditors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit
- Manages Bill.com system; collects 1099’s from vendors
- Supports the Financial Analyst and performs other accounting related tasks as needed
Compliance and Reporting
- Monitors compliance of, and contributes to reporting related to, CDFI certification, grants, and donations
- Works closely with Development team to track all compliance reporting and ensures all covenants are met
WHO YOU ARE
- You are an accomplished financial professional with attention to detail and interest in managing an increasingly complex balance sheet
- You hold yourself and other accountable to meet commitments
- You take on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm
- You build partnerships and work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- You build strong customer relationships and deliver customer-centric solutions (for both internal and external customers)
- You recognize the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization
- You interpret and apply understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions
- You can analyze financial data and identify trends, patterns, and anomalies
- You ensure that financial reports and statements are submitted on time and manage your time effectively and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- You consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances
- You are committed to listening to and learning from your colleagues
- You gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity
- You align with ICA’s values and have examples of how you demonstrate them
WHAT YOU BRING
- A./B.S. degree or equivalent
- 5 years’ experience in Accounting
- Working ability to use tools such as Excel, QuickBooks, Expensify, Bill.com and Salesforce
- Experience in achieving clean financial audits
- Experience working in nonprofit finance and knowledge in Investment Accounting a plus
OUR OFFER AND COMMITMENT
The annual base salary range for this position is $70,000 to $80,000 dependent upon background and experience; plus an annual bonus depending on individual and company performance.
ICA is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics.
ICA’s full benefits package includes: 13 paid holidays each year; 3 weeks of annual paid vacation; 7 days of annual paid sick leave; 3 mental health days annually, employer-paid health, dental, vision, life insurance and disability benefits; 50% employer-paid dependent health, dental and vision; 401(k) plan with matching; and mobile phone / Internet reimbursement; EAP & telemedicine services.
People are key to our success, and we’d like to get to know you. Depending on your progress through our hiring process, you may go through the following steps: A round or two of panel interviews; review of work samples; completion of an exercise or case study; and reference-checking of previous supervisors and colleagues.
How To Apply
Please submit both a resume and a very brief cover letter (combined into one PDF or Word document) by June 2, 2023 on our website: https://www.ica.fund/careers