ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity. We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Staff Accountant is responsible for assisting in the delivery of the organization’s financial information. Reporting to the Director of Accounting, the Staff Accountant will perform or be exposed to a wide array of finance and accounting functions. The successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to learn all areas of ONE’s monthly accounting cycle as well as the global accounting environment, which includes providing accounting expertise and support to several related or affiliated entities including: The ONE Campaign, ONE Action, ONE Campaign Africa, ONE Against Poverty UK, and ONE Global (Canada). This position requires a high level of confidentiality and is based in Washington, DC.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Provide accounting support to all global offices to include oversight and guidance in the following areas on a monthly basis:
- Recording general ledger journal entries
- Processing accounts payable invoices and related disbursements
- Recording payroll journal entries including expense and liability account transactions
- Performing bank account reconciliations
- Generating timely and accurate month-end close financial data for import to ONE
- Coordinating with global offices to ensure credit card compliance, including review of the accounting for and reconciliations of credit card activity processed
- Provide support for annual audit in the area of global accounting
- File timely and accurate Form 1099 and 1096; assist in preparing annual IRS forms 990, form 990-T, and other required U.S. and non-U.S. filings.
- Conduct site visits to existing and new global offices to provide individual and group training to office managers and other staff
- Review and process expense USD claim reimbursements for ONE office staff
- Fully utilize ERP system, Intacct, for a paperless accounting environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Bachelors in Accounting, Business, or Finance required.
- Working knowledge of U.S. GAAP and IRS regulations for 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) non-profit organizations.
- 5+ years financial and accounting experience, preferably in a non-profit setting for a global organization with offices outside the US.
- Understanding of fundamental accounting principles.
- Experience with mid- to high-end accounting software.
- Expert with Microsoft Office software, especially Excel.
- Track record of successful experience in efficient, accurate and timely month- and year-end closing and production of financial statements.
- Detail-oriented, ability to complete multiple tasks accurately within critical deadlines
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and decision-making skills; ability to delegate and prioritize department workload
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Strict confidentiality and a proven ability to exercise good judgment are essential.
- An understanding of the complexities surrounding collaboration in a global matrix organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated
- Collaborative mindset and strong interpersonal skills
- Remain positive in high pressure and stressful situations
- Critical thinking, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful approach
- Independent problem solver
Fluency in English required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
How To Apply
ONE is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please visit the Contact Us page on the web; www.one.org/us/about/contact/). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the high volume of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.