Organization: Food Forward, Inc - a 501 (c)(3) non-profit
Position: Sr. Manager of Accounting and Finance
Hours: Full-time, exempted
Location: North Hollywood, CA, with occasional travel
Organizational Overview: Food Forward fights hunger and prevents food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people experiencing food insecurity and inspiring others to do the same. Fruits and vegetables are collected in Los Angeles and Ventura counties from backyard fruit trees, orchards, farmers markets, the downtown Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market, and other commercial sources. This recovered produce is provided, free of charge to hunger relief organizations that serve community members in various ways: food banks, homeless outreach agencies, domestic violence shelters, transitional youth homes, veteran services, family resource centers, LGBTQ+ teen/adult/senior services, college student assistance programs, programs serving people with disabilities, and many more. Since Food Forward’s inception, our staff and thousands of dedicated volunteers have rescued over 200 million pounds of fruits and vegetables. This produce helped to feed millions of people across eleven Southern California counties, throughout seven states, as well as in tribal lands in the Southwest annually. *See our core values posted below.
Position Overview: As a key member of the Finance and Accounting team, the Senior Manager of Accounting and Finance will report to the Director of Finance and Accounting and assume a strategic role in the management, execution, and improvement of Food Forward’s accounting processes and systems. This will include direct responsibility for (i) full cycle bookkeeping, (ii) ensuring Food Forward is in compliance with all accounting practices, and (iii) safeguarding organizational assets and ensuring successful tax and audit filings.
This person must be highly organized, extremely proactive, and creative with the ability to prioritize projects and meet deadlines. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a fast-paced environment and must be able to prioritize various accounting, finance, and payroll tasks while paying strict attention to details and deadlines. The individual will work cross-departmentally providing guidance and support to all staff in accounting related areas while exercising sound judgment and discretion and maintaining confidentiality. The individual must be passionate about food justice and encompass Food Forward core values.
General Accounting Functions
- Develop and analyze monthly financial statements (balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows) and effectively convey analysis to staff as requested
- Monitor and assist in the development of annual and multi-year budgets that are adequate for the organization’s needs including preparation of periodic budget forecasts
- Oversee the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable workflows
- Partner with Development team to accurately account for and report on funding with donor restrictions
- Prepare and maintain cash flow analyses as needed
- Reconcile bank accounts and general ledger accounts as assigned
- Audit accounts to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations; coordinates with outside auditors and provides needed information for the annual external audit.
- Manage and oversee organization’s insurance policies
- Perform ad hoc analysis and projects as requested
Policies, Procedures, and Compliance
- Establishes internal controls and guidelines for accounting transactions and budget preparation
- Ensure operational compliance with policies, procedures and regulations for any necessary entities
- Perform basic office management duties as requested
Payroll and Employee Benefits
- Process payroll and report payroll taxes for the organization
- Process employee reimbursements including managing employee credit card charges and reconcile credit card accounts
- Degree in Accounting or Finance required, CPA license strongly preferred
- 5-10 years in accounting and finance experience with a budget of at least $5 million
- Experience with government grants and compliance preferred
- Prior management experience a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Periodically able to lift and carry materials weighing up to 20 pounds
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs and ladders, bend, lift, twist, kneel, crouch, crawl, pull, push, carry, grasp, reach and stoop as needed
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Desired Start Date: Immediately
Hours: Full-Time, exempted
Salary: $65,000 to $75,000 depending on experience
- Medical, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
- Generous Sick Days, Paid-Time-Off, and Holiday allocation
- Cell phone allowance
- Telecommuting and Work flexibility
Food Forward Core Values:
- Creativity – We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
- Joyfulness – We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
- Committed to Food Justice – We believe that access to wholesome food and fresh nutritious produce is not a privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
- Authenticity – We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds, and actions. We act at the highest level of integrity.
- Disciplined – We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous, and committed to excellence in all areas of our work, both internally and externally.
- Community-minded – We aim to include and connect people in the community, and to remain open, diverse, respectful, and accessible. We take pride in offering people meaningful volunteer and work experiences.
How To Apply
Send a cover letter and resume in PDF to email@example.com. In the body of the cover letter include 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) Food Forward has many core values, one of which is joyfulness. Please let us know what you have done in the past to create a joyful work environment.
The subject line should read, Sr. Manager of Accounting and Finance – (Your Name). No phone calls. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
Food Forward is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply. We value the individuals that we hire and look forward to creating a positive work environment for all identities.