Job Title: Sr. Director of Marketing
Reports to: Chief Marketing Officer
Supervises: Marketing Director, Patron Services Director, Web Experience Director
Status: Regular, full-time, exempt from overtime
The Sr. Director of Marketing provides the necessary leadership and project management to maximize earned revenue and increase awareness of the Houston Symphony while ensuring the best possible experience for Symphony patrons.
Essential Job Functions:
- Lead the implementation of a newly developed four-year strategic marketing plan to increase earned revenue for the Houston Symphony by prioritizing customer value in the areas of marketing, pricing, experience, and programming
- Create and track the annual marketing budget, including both revenue and expense forecasts, with the Marketing Director and Marketing Revenue Manager
- With Marketing Director, develop and oversee renewal and acquisition campaign items, including season brochure production, season launch, segmented renewal and acquisition mailings and emails, and telemarketing activity
- With the Marketing Director, oversee digital and traditional marketing agencies of record and ensure that the advertising media mix is best optimized to impact earned revenue and new audience development targets
- Work to increase retention rates of single ticket buyers and subscribers through enhancements to the patron experience, bolstering the value of subscription, and developing a frictionless renewal and purchase process
- Oversee maintenance and iterative improvement of the website—a critical transactional space—with the Web Experience Director, ensuring that UI/UX is frequently and iteratively optimized, and that all content is accurate and reflective of the Symphony brand
- Consider and prioritize the patron experience from start to finish, to ensure all patron touchpoints encourage customer satisfaction and appropriately reflect the brand
- Frequently and regularly engage with team to track analytics available through various platforms to improve customer personalization and marketing strategies. Platforms include, but are not limited to, Google Analytics, Tessitura (CRM), social media analytics, email analytics, customer surveys, and digital advertising reports. Use analytics to identify growth opportunities, maximize ROI on marketing investments, and report out key findings to stakeholders.
- Oversee activities to prospect and identify new audiences, including deploying patron services representatives in outbound sales efforts
- Support Chief Marketing Officer on preparing presentations for board members and weekly internal sales reporting
- Collaborate with Chief Marketing Officer on strategic projects related to branding and audience research and development
- Maintain regular customer survey platform to work with Patron Services Department to respond to customer feedback and identify ways to improve customer scores
- Work concert duty as required by the marketing and communications team (approximately once a month, involving evening/weekend hours)
- Perform additional duties as required by the Houston Symphony Society
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field required
- 8-10 years marketing or non-profit experience required
- Demonstrated experience managing a team
- Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented approach a must.
- Innate desire to constantly improve, while bringing new ideas to the table
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, team leadership, and the ability to function effectively as part of a departmental team
- Ability to keep up with changing priorities, manage stress, work well under pressure and multi-task
- Facility in word processing and spreadsheet applications required
- Knowledge of orchestral music preferred
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, including some holidays
How To Apply
The Houston Symphony is seeking a qualified individual for the position of Senior Director of Marketing. For more information and to apply, please click here.
The Houston Symphony is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other protected class.