Collegiate Church is a nearly 400-year-old organization with 55 board (Consistory) members, six administrative committees, and an executive team that actively work together to further the organization’s mission. The Central Office of the Collegiate Church Corporation provides an array of business support services to five unique and inclusive ministries across New York City, which comprise the Collegiate Church.
This position will support the CEO in four primary areas: board and committee support, internal Central Office support, church and office records management, and research and other special projects. This role is critical to the efficient and effective functioning of Collegiate Church to further the organization’s mission.
Participation in board meetings is required (details below). The candidate should expect an average of five meetings per month, which at times may include 2-3 per week. Meetings generally occur before or after regular working hours and generally do not occur in July or August.
1. The Special Assistant will have four primary areas of responsibility:
a. Consistory (the governing board) and committee management
b. Meeting coordination including preparation, scheduling, minutes, and action item follow up
c. Maintain Consistory membership and committee lists
d. Communicate with board members on behalf of the executive staff
2. Internal Central Office support:
a. Administrative support to CEO
b. Basic website administration
c. Other administrative support as required
3. Church and office records management:
a. Maintain marriage and baptism records
b. Custodian of corporate documents
c. Maintain office files and carry out records retention practices
4. Research and other special projects:
a. Liaise with staff archivist to coordinate projects
b. Annual and semi-annual filings
c. Other projects as needed
Skills and Attributes:
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and can comfortably interact with a variety of executives and board-level professionals.
• Approachability and responsiveness, always with a professional and positive attitude.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) and basic Adobe Pro.
• Accepts constructive criticism and seeks to learn and grow.
• Strong customer service orientation, as well as a sense of tact and diplomacy.
• Excellent attention to detail and strong skills in listening, writing and recording information, including the ability to condense it into an accurate narrative or bulleted summaries.
• Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
• A proactive and self-initiating performer; must be able to work independently with limited or infrequent supervision. Good time management is necessary, with a demonstrated ability to address multiple tasks, prioritize tasks and handle unforeseen challenges.
• Understands and utilizes meeting protocols appropriately and maintains a high level of confidentiality with regards to the information he/she handles.
• Additional consideration will be given to candidates who have prior experience supporting board, committee or executive officers at a non-profit or religious organization.
• At least 3 years of full-time professional experience required.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
Collegiate Church promotes an open and inclusive culture. We provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. To clarify, this role does not require candidates to identify as Christian or be members of any religious denomination or organization.
How To Apply
Apply for the position by clicking on the link.