American Bird Conservancy
Social Media Specialist
Title: Social Media Specialist
Supervisor: Director of Communications
Location: Washington, DC or Remote/Hybrid
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary: $62,500; Based on experience
Submission Deadline: April 15, 2023
The mission of American Bird Conservancy (ABC) is to conserve birds and their habitats – the places birds need to thrive – across the Americas. We are a growing group of 125+ dedicated staff, located across the United States and with a network of partners from Canada to Chile. Each year, we grow in budget and staff, and we deliver more results aimed at preventing bird species extinctions and reversing declines that are reducing populations of nearly all bird groups. Our work is guided by our principles, which include a commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI).
The Social Media Specialist will develop and implement social media campaigns and content in order to advance our communication and organizational goals, including elevating ABC’s visibility, reputation, and subject matter experts. Candidates must have a proven track record of growing and cultivating audiences on multiple social media platforms; generating creative content to meet goals; appropriately handling reputational threats; and working collaboratively with colleagues.
- Create and execute social media strategies to advance the organization’s conservation work, thought leaders, and ABC overall
- Optimize written and visual content for social platforms and execute daily posting schedule using online software such as Later for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Mastodon, YouTube, and LinkedIn
- Actively create and manage social media content calendar that supports overall communications editorial calendar
- Cultivate and manage relationships with social media audience with specific attention to ABC supporters and other bird conservation related influencers
- Develop digital content, both written and visual
- Identify and manage social media partnership opportunities
- Promptly respond to direct messages and actively monitor comments. Appropriately manage sensitive discussions
- Track and report on metrics, summarize results, devise new strategies when needed and achieve growth in terms of followers and engagement
- Partner with marketing team counterparts on paid social media efforts
- Bachelor’s degree in a communications-related field and a minimum of 3 years’ related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated ability to create engaging multimedia content tailored for each platform and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Content must be inventive, accurate, and compelling, and must convey ABC’s mission and encourage consistent engagement from the audience
- Knowledge and basic skills with photo, video, and infographic creation, ideally including familiarity with online software such as Canva
- Experience cultivating and managing collaborative relationships with colleagues and/or partners
- Experience organizing and coordinating multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Understanding of what makes a successful post, as measured by targeted metrics such as engagement rates
- Strong list of successful social media campaign results
- Knowledge and application of current and evolving trends on social platforms, especially Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, TikTok, and Mastodon
- Background screening required
- Authorized to work in the U.S. or Permanent Resident
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Spanish and Portuguese language skills a plus
- Multicultural or cross-cultural experience
- Experience working with non-English language media, especially Spanish-language media in the U.S.
- Interest in birds, conservation, environmental justice, or related areas
- Benefits include medical, dental, flexible spending accounts, and supplemental health insurance policies; including vision.
- Paid vacation days, holidays (10+), sick leave, retirement savings with employer match, life insurance, parental leave, and Verizon cell service discount.
At American Bird Conservancy, we believe that a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills makes us more effective. We are committed to creating a respectful and inclusive work environment for all of our employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, ABC is committed to ensuring that employees and applicants for employment have equal opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor unrelated to the requirements of the position.
How To Apply
Please apply online at Bamboo HR: https://abcbirds.bamboohr.com/careers/173.
**Candidate must include ABC-relevant social media writing samples, and preferably also video and/or infographic samples.
If you experience any technical difficulties, please email your cover letter and resume as ONE document to HR@abcbirds.org.