American Humane seeks an ambitious, experienced Social Media Manager to join the Communications team. This position is based at American Humane’s national headquarters in Washington, DC and reports directly to the National Director, Communications.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and people. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
Execute strategic alignment of messaging across platforms to achieve brand consistency, oversee content development, drive social media strategy, pitch and market events, program areas, and organizational messaging to achieve media coverage, and perform other duties as assigned by the National Director, Communications.
- Manage consumer-facing messaging – Oversee social media and web platforms, develop strategic messaging for AH materials and distribute content. Create key organization and program-specific messaging points to be used by staff, outside corporate partners, company sponsors, and media contacts.
- Develop and implement social media strategy – Oversee social media platforms to drive company brand and program messaging, increase engagement with followers, and consistently develop social media content.
- Maintain institutional editorial calendar – Create and maintain editorial calendar to encompass ongoing communications and development projects, events, and programs. Work with internal contacts to determine appropriate messaging to achieve maximum communications impact.
- Create messaging and materials – Produce clear, concise copy for fact sheets, newsletters, brochures, event programs, and other materials as needed. Work with graphic design team to provide a product in line with organizational branding.
- Draft press releases, pitch media and act as spokesperson – Generate press releases and pitches to send to members of national and local media; serve as on- or off-the-record spokesperson for organization as needed; and serve as lead on-site media liaison for in-person press events as needed. Coordinate details for stories with media outlets, including providing photographs, quotes and videos. Build, maintain and update media contact lists.
- Speech and script writing – Draft speeches to be used by members of American Humane staff, members of Congress, and other key influentials at American Humane events and outside events. Script writing as needed for American Humane Hero Dog Awards, PSAs, and other videos.
- Other miscellaneous writing and editing assignments – Blog posts, publication editing and writing, CEO correspondence, scripts, op-eds, copy for advertisements, and other assignments as needed.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least five years of professional experience in communications, media relations, business or technical writing, or a related field preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in social media required.
- Self-disciplined, entrepreneurial, action-oriented style that thrives in a start-up environment. Prioritizes tasks to meet deadlines. Strong work ethic.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to establish and implement systems and identify resources to ensure the successful completion of projects. Ability to create and maintain files, recording systems and communication protocols.
- Strong written communication skills with proven ability to present, write, edit and organize thoughts in a clear, concise, and well-organized and well-articulated manner.
- Ability to change voice and writing style to fit a particular audience and purpose.
- Ability to produce high-quality work on deadline. Comfortable managing multiple projects, priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to think proactively, take initiative and see tasks through to completion with appropriate follow-up.
- Sound judgment and discretion in handling and securing confidential information, as well as the ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner.
- Flexibility to work as part of a team or independently and across departments to meet goals in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer and office technology including applications for project and data management and electronic calendars (Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook preferred). Ability to quickly learn software specific to the department or institution.
- Manage external vendors and internal and temporary staff on an as-needed basis.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Position is based in Washington, D.C.
- Standard working office environment
- Willingness to travel for assignments, with evening and weekend hours as needed
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
American Humane is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diverse candidates to apply
How To Apply
To apply, click here to submit resume and cover letter.