Our mission: increase investment and participation in 4‑H programs so we can support the next generation of true young leaders. National 4‑H Council (Council) is committed to providing leadership and resources so that 4‑H programs are available to youth across the US. Our executive leadership team and Board of Trustees are dedicated to the belief that helping kids achieve their boldest dreams empowers not only them but also our communities to thrive today, tomorrow, and beyond. Council supports national and state 4‑H programs with a focus on fundraising, brand management, communications, and legal and fiduciary services. Council also oversees the National 4‑H Conference Center, and the National 4‑H Supply Service, the authorized agent for items bearing the 4‑H Name and Emblem.
Council currently seeks a Senior Manager, Public Relations (PR) to manage, develop and implement projects focused on brand reputation management, and awareness and engagement through celebrity alumni and supporters; this includes managing media outreach efforts at the national and select local market levels well as leveraging content and storytelling assets to advance 4-H’s brand and revenue streams. The ideal candidate must be a self-starter, with great communications and relationship management skills. The Senior Manager, PR reports to the Sr. Director, PR and Celebrity Relations. The position is full-time based in Chevy Chase, MD, and not eligible to telecommute.
Reputation Management Duties
- Work in tandem with Sr. Director, PR and Celebrity Relations to manage, develop, and execute a proactive and reactive brand reputation strategy.
- Support communications infrastructure, anticipating, preparing, navigating any issues that may arise.
- Serve as the day-to-day contact flagging, monitoring and managing potential issues.
- Develop and draft crisis plans, media strategies, reactive media statements, talking points, FAQs, memos, crisis simulations and other deliverables as needed.
- Oversee and execute proactive media outreach and reactive media relations strategies as needed.
- Advise leadership, including C-Suite, on a range of critical reputational and positioning issues.
- Provide strategic insights across brand reputation, issues and crisis management and stakeholder engagement.
- Collaborate with Council Business Units (Resource Development, 4-H Mall, 4-H Center) as well as agency partners such as legal counsel, vendors, etc., as appropriate.
- Generate updates, reports, summaries and PowerPoint presentations for the Marketing Leadership Team. Assist with other projects as deemed necessary by Sr Director, PR and Celebrity Relations.
Brand PR and Media Relations Duties
- Develop and nurture relationships with key audiences (media, celebrities, third-party constituencies, among others.) to convey 4-H’s brand message.
- Collaborate with PR agency partners to generate national 4-H media coverage, leveraging celebrity name and influence.
- Engage in proactive media outreach and pitching that yield high-quality media placements.
- Draft, edit and disseminate communications materials such as press releases, media/photo advisories, op-ed articles, and other materials as required.
- Coordinate specific PR tasks and/or events with other departments and manage the implementation of these projects as necessary.
- Manage media opportunities with celebrities and influencers, including arranging and covering radio, print, online and television interviews/appearances—some of which may occur early mornings, evenings or on weekends.
- Manage proactive outreach to position key National 4-H Council executives and spokespeople through earned media interviews and thought leadership opportunities.
- Identify and pursue industry awards and recognition opportunities that support the positioning of 4-H’s brand work.
- Support the development of brand thought leadership platform and serve as a lead point for developing earned media strategies and tactics that positioning 4-H positive youth development and utilize notable alumni and supporters to increase visibility and awareness
- Develop and implement the strategy for ongoing earned media relationship management with key media contacts involved in nonprofit/philanthropy, youth and parenting/family beats
Project Management and Collaboration Duties
- Manage PR budgets; oversee and manage projects from start to completion.
- Design and maintain a cloud-based filing system for Team strategies, project trackers, and support documents that are accessible and easily located.
- Schedule meetings, create agendas, take meeting notes and develop actionable next steps to keep projects moving.
- Communicate regularly with leadership and agency partners to keep up-to-date on brand reputation issues, public relations developments as well as identify stories and optimal times for earned media.
- Liaise and collaborate with colleagues (i.e. Digital, Creative, Field Marketing, among others) to maximize relevant communications opportunities.
Administrative and Other Support Duties
- Participate and contribute updates during departmental meetings and work cross-functionally with other members of the team.
- Create/maintain media lists and provide consistent updates to supervisors.
- Research, participate, and share professional development/learning opportunities with the Marketing and Brand team as appropriate.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in PR, Marketing or a related field with at least five to eight years of professional experience, including at least three years of relevant crisis and reputation management experience.
- At least three years of demonstrated experience managing media relationships and experience designing messages, pitch documents and campaigns to secure media coverage.
- Experience executing PR campaigns with strategies and tactics connected to tangible metrics and outcomes; and writing and editing content for media publication, and public speeches.
- Excellent written, communications, interpersonal, organizational, planning, and time management skills with a proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and is comfortable and successful in a fast-paced environment.
- Detailed self-starter and creative problem solver, with the ability to work effectively at all levels from senior management, to external partners and support staff.
- Advanced professional computer skills with the required knowledge of MS Suites (Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Excel, and Outlook).
Travel Requirements: Travel may be necessary for up to 20% of the time (local, regional, national) by air, car, and, or rail.
ADA Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an Associate to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position typically has the following Career Ladder:
- Director, Public Relations
- Sr. Director, Public Relations
How To Apply
Submitted updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Sr. PR Manager" in the subject line.