SUMMARY: As the PFLAG National Senior/Online Community Coordinator (title and salary commensurate with experience), this person will assist in developing, coordinating, and growing online communities, and act as a liaison between PFLAG National and its various digital audiences. As the Senior/Online Community Coordinator, they will reinforce the brand voice and tone, and moderate conversations through three primary objectives to strengthen PFLAG National’s digital footprint, presence, and trust online: community building and support, content distribution, and digital engagement. Reporting to the Communications Director, and in collaboration with the Social Media and Digital Content Manager, they will work to define PFLAG National’s community building and digital response and support efforts to complement the broader social and digital media strategy, support the Communications team and consult with the Learning & Inclusion, Chapter Engagement, Development, and Advocacy, Policy & Partnerships departments when necessary.
ABOUT US: PFLAG National is the first and largest organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) people, their families, and allies. PFLAG National has more than 250,000 members and supporters and nearly 400 chapters in the United States. This vast grassroots network is cultivated, resourced, and serviced by the PFLAG National staff, Board of Directors, and Regional Directors Council.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Community Building and Support
- Assist in the creation, implementation, moderation, and growth of a network of online PFLAG groups for immediate peer-to-peer support;
- Aid in building a connection between and among online groups, and creating a flow to PFLAG Connects meetings, PFLAG resources, and both national and chapter meetings;
- Support in engaging with and empowering current and prospective members, stakeholders, and other target audiences in online communities; and
- Help to escalate trends, recommendations, and/or noted issues from various communities to appropriate teams and departments within PFLAG National staff to inform future decisions, programs, resources, etc.
- Content Distribution
- Collaborate on establishing a meaningful funnel of content from PFLAG National’s core channels to PFLAG National’s various online communities;
- Assist in the creation of community standards to maintain safe, welcoming, inclusive and supportive online communities for diverse and varying audiences; and
- Increase audiences’ awareness of PFLAG National resources and programs that exist to provide support, education, and advocacy.
- Digital Engagement
- Moderate community conversations, with support from Supervisor and Social Media and Digital Content Manager, to ensure community standards are upheld; and
- Collaborate on a listening strategy for opportunities across social media channels for PFLAG National to meaningfully engage in conversations taking place that don’t directly mention PFLAG (think advanced searches, Twitter list creation, trend analysis, and more).
- At least 2+ years of community management, digital grassroots organizing, social media, or relevant experience;
- Solid computer experience including use of the Internet, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office;
- Experience with general office equipment, including network and desktop copiers, scanners, projectors, telephone systems, and video calls/meetings, etc.;
- Knowledge of and passion for LGBTQ+ issues and civil rights as a whole (and possess the ability to learn and gain considerable knowledge of these areas);
- Customer-service-oriented approach (timely, empathetic, on-brand and adherent to community standards) to communicating and serving a diverse community;
- Ability to collaboratively develop goals based on broader communications and organizational objectives, and adjust based on results and analysis;
- Experience crafting and managing social postings and replies across multiple platforms;
- A heavy interest in staying on top of current events, policy and industry news;
- Willingness to learn and grow necessary skills to fulfill position duties;
- Be comfortable with (possibly even excited about) working on a distributed team, even post-COVID; and
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience.
- Previous public relations experience, education or training;
- Adept at using Sprout Social or equivalent social monitoring tools;
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment and ability to pivot and be flexible;
- Ability to work as a team-oriented employee;
- Excellent communications and writing skills;
- Experience with Salesforce and/or Salsa Engage; and
- Fluency in languages in addition to English is a plus.
SALARY & BENEFITS: Salary range is $50,500 - $68,000, and both salary and title are commensurate with experience. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by the Office and Professional Employees International Union, Local 2, AFL-CIO. PFLAG National offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid medical, dental, vision, life, short- and long-term disability, 403(b) with employer match, and generous vacation.
How To Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter as PDFs to Greg Rokisky (he/him), Social Media and Digital Content Manager, at email@example.com. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.