***Application Deadline: December 2, 2022***
Summary: Join our team to fight factory farming and shift food system assets in support of compassion, justice, and sustainability for farm animals, people, and the planet. The Senior Manager of Strategic Advocacy Initiatives works to advance Farm Sanctuary’s advocacy agenda by:
- Managing high-impact policy initiatives, such as a national food policy roadmap and state and federal legislation designed to support just, sustainable, community-driven, plant-based food system transformations.
- Managing high-impact partnerships, including ongoing pilot resource transfers to support community-driven food system transformation.
- Supporting internal coordination to ensure effective and equitable implementation of policy and direct civic interventions.
- Manage pilot partnerships to shift resources in support of community-driven approaches to advance land justice and sustainable land use in the food system
- Manage high-impact policy projects to fight factory farming and shift food system assets
- Perform outreach to farmer, worker, environment, health, and community-centered organizations involved in Farm Sanctuary’s federal review of the food system supply chain
- Perform outreach to relevant academic, advocacy, and expert sources to support Farm Sanctuary’s evidence-based approach to advocacy
- Ensure effective and equitable implementation of grants (both from Farm Sanctuary’s funders and in situations where Farm Sanctuary is in a grantmaking capacity)
- Coordinate with external consultants to ensure effective and just implementation of policy and direct interventions
- Coordinate with policy working groups and Farm Sanctuary communications staff to co-create relevant, high-impact advocacy materials
- Track Farm Sanctuary’s advocacy activities, providing written updates on Farm Sanctuary’s advocacy activities for Farm Sanctuary’s website, newsletters, and other constituent communications, and recording lobbying time and expenses
- 5 years’ relevant experience working in project or program management, with particular preference for those with experience advancing food justice
- Master’s degree in public health, public policy, environmental studies, J.D.
- NOTE: Equivalent educational or professional experience will be considered, and people with nontraditional educational backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Proven excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, and to proactively identify and solve problems
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, handling varied tasks simultaneously while meeting tight deadlines
- Demonstrated interest in and support for the mission and campaigns of Farm Sanctuary
- Alignment with Farm Sanctuary’s values of compassion, understanding, integrity, transformation, and freedom.
- Familiarity, commitment to, and experience with the practice of equity and social justice, and the principles embedded in Farm Sanctuary’s mission
Successful applicants may not meet all of the qualifications. We encourage you to apply, even if you have a unique or non-traditional background.
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt position
- Reports to: Senior Director, Advocacy
- Location: Remote
- Pay: $70,000-80,000, commensurate with experience
- Travel: Travel may be required on a quarterly basis
- Benefits: Competitive benefits package, including 13 paid holidays; generous paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; long-term disability insurance; free access to the CALM meditation app; and access to the Nivati wellness platform
- Additional Specifications: Requires schedule flexibility, including weekend and evening hours as needed
- Stage 1: 30-minute call with a member of our HR team
- Stage 2: 60-minute video call with two members of our Advocacy team
- Stage 3: 60-minute final panel interview (this stage includes a paid skills assessment)
- Stage 4: Job offer
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal-opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or age.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Farm Sanctuary are considered work products and intellectual property of Farm Sanctuary.