Tides envisions a world of shared prosperity and social change founded on equality & human rights, healthy individuals & communities, a sustainable environment, and quality education for all. Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve society’s toughest problems. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
Tides is seeking an experienced Sr. HR Manager who is passionate about accelerating the pace of social change. The ideal candidate will be comfortable collaborating with cross-functional teams to achieve the organization’s strategic goals and has the ability to thrive in an action-orientated, agile working environment.
The Sr. HR Manager is primarily responsible for overseeing the organization’s client facing HR service functions, including general policy and procedures, employee and management coaching, employee relations, performance management, compensation, benefits and compliance. This position also mentors a team of HR Managers who collectively support Tides 150 fiscally sponsored social ventures, as well as personally supports a caseload of social venture clients. Additionally, this role will work closely with the Director, People and on cross functional teams in all areas of client service delivery. The Sr. HR Manager is responsible for uplifting and embodying Tides core values - Respect, Accountability, Creativity, Equity and Empowerment - in all areas of work, engagement with team members and partners. The Sr. HR Manager is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manages a caseload of fiscally sponsored social venture partners
• Delivers high quality customer service; develops and maintains strong working relationships with assigned partner groups
• Provides coaching and HR advisory for employees and managers on a variety of employment matters such as performance management, compensation and benefits, employee relations, risk and compliance and employee engagement
• Effectively resolves employee relations matters using good judgment as well as conflict resolution skills; develops timely and creative solutions
• Determines plans of action and successfully resolves employment issues based on established policies, procedures and HR best practices
• Interprets, develops and applies HR policies and procedures; ensures compliance with internal policies as well as federal, state and local labor regulations
• Conducts investigations and researches employee complaints; serves as liaison with outside legal counsel on HR related legal issues
• Partners with partner groups to develop clear and accurate job descriptions
• Provides guidance on employee classifications such as it relates to FLSA exemptions, contractors and volunteers
• Processes employment requests such as hires, terminations and employment changes
• Conducts periodic on-site HR visits to partner sites to assess HR needs and overall relationship
• Ensures effective teamwork and coordination of HR service delivery
• Administers special projects on the HR team to support operations, technology and/or compliance, as assigned.
• Collaborate with the Client Services Department and HR staff to lead consistent and high-quality customer service in Human Resources
• Provides HR representation on Tides Center initiatives such as annual partner assessments, evaluation of costs and services, communications and special projects
• Assigns caseload of social venture clients to social venture accountants based on skill sets, expertise, location and capacity to ensure smooth transitions and partner supports
• Manages HR functions throughout Intake process for Tides Center; reviews and approves applications, conducts HR assignments, and facilitates smooth onboarding process
• Collaborates with the Director, Strategic Partnerships and other cross functional team members to respond to requests for bids and other inquiries for new initiatives
• Assist the Director, People in developing departmental goals and support staff in developing their individual development plans and meeting goals
• Manage a team of highly skilled HR Managers by monitoring and evaluating employee performance against goals and writing performance reviews
• Provide coaching and leadership to the team of HR Managers including guiding and directing special projects and collaborative initiatives
• Support resolution of client HR matters in partnership with the HR Managers
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
• Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development or other related field or study
• 7-10 years of relevant experience experience, managing all facets of the function
• Strong working knowledge of Human Resources best practices, policies, procedures and federal, state, local and international laws including
• Ability to balance competing demands and satisfy the conflicting needs of a multi-customer based constituency with tact, diplomacy and kindness • Ability to speak clearly and persuasively regarding sometimes challenging employment matters
• Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results
• Ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all parties
• Ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information
• Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
• Ability to adapt to a dynamic and fluid workplace while maintaining enthusiasm and thriving in such environment
• Strong project management skills: planning and organizational skills to develop initiatives and collaborate with others to ensure outcomes on aligned goals
• Acts with integrity, empathy, curiosity and transparency
• Strong analytical, investigatory and research skills
• Master’s degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development or other related field
• Demonstrated experience managing and developing a team including delivering performance reviews
• Experience managing clients and delivering HR services including mitigating challenges, balancing compliance and client needs
• Demonstrated experience in change management and organizational development processes
• Exemplary leadership skills and the ability to influence decision making through strong relationships, expertise and data
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.