Title: Senior Director, Development and Engagement
Reports to: Founder, CEO
Direct reports: Development, Engagement and Partnerships Team
Location: New York, NY
Every Mother Counts’ mission is to make pregnancy and childbirth safe, respectful, and equitable for every mother, everywhere. We educate the public about maternal health and invest in community-led programs to improve access to essential maternity care. We engage communities, thought leaders, and partners in efforts to achieve quality, respectful, and equitable maternity care for all.
Who You Are
A creative Senior Director, Development and Engagement ready to help Every Mother Counts expand its revenue streams and lead the development efforts to achieve our fundraising goals. In addition to your passion and advocacy for safe and equitable maternity care worldwide, you are a strategic and results-oriented leader that is motivated by the responsibility of developing and implementing a fundraising strategy that expands our donor base, increases revenue, and deepens the support and engagement amongst our community of supporters. As our senior front-line fundraiser, the ideal candidate has expertise in cultivating and securing $250k to $1M donor commitments and enjoys building and developing relationships with a broad diversity of constituent types, including major donors and institutions.
- Advise and guide a team-based approach to fundraising and engagement for EMC
- Lead, manage, and mentor the Development, Partnerships and Engagement team to meet the next level of fundraising and development operations growth
- Participate in and support the work of EMC’s Board Development Committee
Day to Day/Collaboration
- Oversee external donor marketing communications materials and collateral that clearly articulate a compelling case for philanthropic support of EMC, working closely with the EMC Communications and Impact teams
- Oversee and collaborate with the Senior Director, Corporate Partnerships and the Director, Brand Partnerships in driving strategy, impact, and growth. Help to develop and maintain relationships with corporate and institutional partners to benefit EMC, with the goals of generating significant annual revenue growth, including multi-year commitments, increasing awareness of EMC campaigns and mobilizing resources through our relationships with these partners.
- Oversee and collaborate with the Associate Director, Development and Engagement, in creating milestones and revenue goals around providing best-in-class experiences for EMC Founder’s Circle and key donors. Help in ensuring that EMC-produced special events are experientially on brand and compelling, expand our community of supporters, and raise critical funds and awareness.
- Oversee the refinement and expansion of our running and fitness activations into a broader health and wellness program
- Oversee the development, promotion and sustaining of opportunities for EMC's community to support the organization, including our monthly giving program and peer-to-peer fundraising efforts
- Collaborate with the Policy, Advocacy and Grantmaking team to pull out the most salient examples of our work and impact for communicating to a variety of prospective and existing donors
- Sustain, manage, and grow existing institutional relationships; drive and track grant-writing and reporting requirements
- Oversee the management of EMC’s donor database (Salesforce), ensuring that team members are continuously contributing and that records are kept up to date
Strategic Program Development and Implementation
- Working in close partnership with EMC’s founder, develop and implement a comprehensive and multi-faceted donor stewardship strategy that includes high-touch relationship management tactics and an annual communications plan aimed at keeping major donors and strategic contacts informed, engaged and appreciated
- Create and execute a strategic and measurable fundraising plan with established processes and support systems to identify new prospects, cultivate relationships and secure financial commitments that achieve organizational revenue goals
- Establish a major gifts program, increase multi-year gifts and significantly grow a limited institutional revenue stream -- increasing both the number and size of gifts—into a high-impact giving program through the prospecting and cultivation of new relationships with public, private, and family foundations
- Create and implement new and innovative approaches to distilling and communicating EMC’s work and mission to connect, engage and inspire prospects and existing supporters
- Lead efforts to further diversify funding through our new ‘innovation’ fund established to seed, incubate, and accelerate early-stage ideas that have the potential to transform maternity care, in the U.S. and globally.
- Prepare and share monthly, quarterly, and annual reports tracking key revenue performance indicators and financial results with EMC’s Board of Directors and staff.
Qualifications and Characteristics
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of 10 years fundraising experience with a high-profile nonprofit organization, supported by a demonstrated track record of having built and led successful, sustainable major development and institutional fundraising programs
- Outstanding executive abilities, including strategic planning, communicating, managing talent, and executing to achieve goals
- Experience with donor and customer relationship management software such as Salesforce, Haku, Give Lively, etc.
- Highly skilled at making cogent and persuasive presentations in both small and large group settings
- Experience cultivating and managing relationships with a variety of external constituents, from Board members to CEOs to influencers
- Knowledge of best practices in philanthropy, familiarity with trust-based models of philanthropy
- Keen judgement and discretion with the ability to represent EMC with the highest level of professionalism, poise and polish
- Tenacious commitment to achieving performance goals and fundraising targets
- Entrepreneurial and exceptionally resourceful; ability to thrive in a fast-paced, results-driven, at-times-scrappy, small-team working environment
- Superior communications and writing skills; including proposal and grant writing
- Super collaborator with the ability to multi-task and deliver high-quality work on tight deadlines
- Excellent relationship-building skills and strong cross-cultural sensitivity
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, especially in PowerPoint
- Experience working in donor fundraising tools and CRM software including Salesforce
- Passion for EMC’s mission and an authentic desire to improve the state of women’s health and human rights at large
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Excellent benefits
Equal Opportunity Employer
How To Apply
Please submit all applications here: Every Mother Counts: Senior Director, Development and Engagement - Nonprofit HR - Career Page (applytojob.com)