Tides is a values-based, social change platform that leverages individual and institutional leadership and investment to positively impact local and global communities. Tides pursues multiple, related strategies to promote this mission. From green nonprofit centers to programmatic consulting, donor advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, Tides gives members of the nonprofit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change it wants to see. For more information, please visit www.tides.orgOpens a New Window..
The Senior Accounting Specialist, under the direction of the Accounting Supervisor AP/AR, is responsible for the oversight of day-to-day accounts receivable and accounts payable activities, ensuring the timely and accurate delivery of finance services on a daily basis for Tides fiscal sponsorship operations.
The Senior Accounting Specialist is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop workflow and system improvements that facilitate operational efficiency and financial management of the organization.
- Responsible for interpreting, revising, and implementing Tides Center accounting procedures as well as analyzing and resolving accounting/procedural issues brought up by internal Tides and external project staff in a timely manner.
- Maintain oversight of daily Accounts Payable activities to ensure timely processing AP transactions.
- Review, approve, and process AP transactions that include, outgoing wires, ACH, and checks for expedited, weekly, and weekly check runs.
- Responsible for vendor and 1099 maintenance, including the mailing, filing and correcting of year-end 1099-MISCs and other tax filings as required.
- Assist with maintaining schedules and reconciliations of various accounts and preparation of journal entries.
- Assist in the preparation of annual audit.
- Participate in cross departmental and cross organizational teams, financial projects and planning activities as needed.
- Other duties, or projects, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) concepts and procedures utilized in a nonprofit environment as well as nonprofit-specificregulations, both federal and local (e.g., nonprofit revenue recognition, IRS regulations, etc.)
- Extensive AR and AP experience and ability to make sound judgments based on a thorough knowledge of accounting policies and procedures.
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, and accurate. The position requires the ability to work independently within a fast-paced, task-directed, deadline-oriented environment. Time management and organizational skills are essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; strong ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties.
- Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment and maintain a high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work-related duties.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite (particularly Excel) and Outlook.
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting preferred, or a Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting or equivalent years of related work experience.
- 3+ years of experience in a similar position.
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER EXPRESSING YOUR INTEREST IN WORKING TO SUPPORT TIDES AND WHY YOU ARE QUALIFIED FOR THIS JOB. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. To upload your cover letter, add the file to the Resume section of the online application. No phone calls please!
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Reasonable accommodation will also be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advice in writing of special needs at the time of application.
How To Apply
Please apply here: