Tides Advocacy Fund (TAF) is a values-based, social change platform that leverages individual and institutional leadership and investment to positively impact local and global communities. TAF pursues multiple, related strategies to promote this mission. From donor advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, TAF gives members of the nonprofit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change they want to see. For more information, please visit https://advocacyfund.org/
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Tides Advocacy Fund (TAF) Senior Accountant is a support role for the Organization’s accounting functions including but not limited to monthly closing, financial reporting, quarterly and year-end statements and other management reports. This role will provide financial services and reporting to both internal Senior and external clients. Creating, reviewing, and approving general ledger journal entries are essential duties of this position. The position will also possess a working knowledge of NetSuite financial system and will assist in the maintenance of operational policies and practices that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Senior Accountant is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Accounting and Financial Management
- Ensures that the daily financial and accounting transactions are recorded in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and all applicable regulations including those set forth by the Federal Accounting Standards Board such as FASB 117 and 118, and legal rules and regulations for nonprofit operations designated as IRS 501(C) (3) and 501(C) (4) organizations.
- Reviews grants and proposals, and billing processes to ensure adherence to and compliance with federal, state, local
- Provides coding to accounts receivables for all cash receipts.
- Reviews all accounts receivable, accounts payable and purchase card transactions.
- Conducts data processing (AP/AR) and processing expedite (AP/AR) as needed.
- Reviews and approves monthly purchase card statements for proper coding and appropriateness in Wells Fargo Commercial Card Reporting System.
- Reviews, evaluates and implements systems, policies and procedures. Supplemental program bank account management and administration (e.g. political committees, merchant accounts).
- Supports systems overhaul and implementation to modernize accounting systems and business process redesign across organization.
- Supports systems validation support & data integrity.
Project Finance Support
- Engage in direct contact with projects for purposes of financial training, consultation, problem-solving, and planning.
- Provide expertise in budgeting and long range financial planning
- Approve all cash disbursements for project caseload and monitor project cash flow to ensure compliance with TAF cash management policies
- Tracks, reviews, and provides guidance on projects’ revenue and expenditures.
- Analyzes fund activity and ensures accuracy of allocations of funds to appropriate departments.
- Produces routine and customized financial reports.
- Provides financial data for inclusion in Grant Reports in partnership with Accounting Manager and Philanthropic Advisors.
- Reviews grant budget proposals for projects/funds for accuracy and reasonableness.
Budgeting and Reforecasting
- Supports budget development, reforecast, and monitoring processes for Tides Advocacy Fund, including support for general operations and project directors to manage their respective
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Assists in implementing and managing monthly, quarterly and annual close processes and
- Supports in providing management with timely reviews of organization’s financial status and progress to management and
- Prepares and issues monthly financial statements and related reports, including balance sheets, income statements, cash-flow reports, budgets, and variance analysis for external stakeholders, internal management team, and board of
- Reconciliation of all accounts (bank reconciliations, segregation of duties for control).
- Assist with preparation of audit and provide support for the preparation of IRS Form 990 and other tax filings.
- Provides back-up coverage to Accounting Manager as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Accounting Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient with enterprise-wide accounting systems such as NetSuite, MAS 90, or Great Plains.
- Knowledge of GAAP/FASB
- Demonstrated ability to interpret economic conditions and anticipate the impact on the
- Proven track record of maintaining effective internal controls and developing efficient financial policies and
- Experience with general ledger account management, account reconciliation, account analysis, and preparation of financial
- Effective communicator utilizing active listening skills and clear verbal and written
- Ability to communicate complex accounting principles in simple
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills as well as the ability to see the big picture while understanding the details involved and the ramifications of the decisions
- Ability to manage relationships with third party service providers to negotiate a win-win
- Proven ability to organize and support work flow processes that ensure high degrees of accuracy and accountability within team members.
- Tolerance for and ability to manage
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with
- Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective
- Exercises excellent judgment in handling confidential information and other potentially-sensitive
- Demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; ability to strive for high level of
- Strong ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved
- Demonstrated ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate
- Demonstrated ability to maintain high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work related
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive social change and ability to engage in strategic and analytical thinking around issues of social
- Strong motivation and ability to simultaneously manage multiple tasks and
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to and appreciation for diverse viewpoints, different communication styles, and a wide range of diverse
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Accounting or related field or Certification as a Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent is desired.
- 3+ years of experience in a similar position
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER EXPRESSING YOUR INTEREST IN WORKING TO SUPPORT THE ADVOCACY FUND AND WHY YOU ARE QUALIFIED FOR THIS JOB. No phone calls please!
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The Advocacy Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
How To Apply
Please apply here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=thetides&jobId=197813&lang=en_US&source=CC3