Tides is a values-based, social change platform that leverages individual and institutional leadership and investment to positively impact local and global communities. Tides pursues multiple, related strategies to promote this mission. From green nonprofit centers to programmatic consulting, donor advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, Tides gives members of the nonprofit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change it wants to see. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Senior Accountant works with Tides staff to provide financial services and reporting to both internal staff and external clients. This position requires extensive client service related contact. Creating, reviewing, and approval of general ledger journal entries are essential duties of this position. The position will also possess a working knowledge of the NetSuite financial system and will assist in the maintenance of operational policies and practices that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
The Senior Accountant is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Accountant will be the primary liaison for fund’s financial needs and will be responsible for exceptional client service to internal staff and external clients in the following areas:
- Provide support for the accurate and timely preparation of financial reports for both external and internal clients
- Prepare, review, and approve journal entries
- Review grant agreements, contracts, and proposals to determine reporting requirements and classification, including setup and maintenance of segment values for tracking purposes
- Analyze fund activity and approve disbursements with accurate segment coding to ensure compliance with donor intent/guidelines
- Prepare monthly schedules and reconciliations of various balance sheet and income statement accounts
- Produce routine and customized financial reports
- Assist in the preparation of documentation for annual and other external audits
- Provide support for the preparation of IRS Form 990 and other tax filings
- Engage with internal staff and external clients for purposes of financial training, consultation, problem-solving, and planning
- Provide back-up coverage to Finance Operations
- Develop systems to streamline processes and enhance team efficiency
- Other projects as assigned by management
- May be required to train and/or guide other team members
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), nonprofit accounting, and internal control processes
- Strong analytical and accounting skills. Must be able to identify, analyze, and problem-solve accounting or compliance issues within a deadline-oriented environment
- Demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; ability to strive for high level of satisfaction
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making ability and able to financially sound determinations
- Ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
- Proficiency with MS Office and NetSuite
- Excellent organizational, planning, prioritizing and time management skills
- Ability to explain financial statements and accounting concepts to non-finance personnel
- Experience with developing and maintaining reporting systems procedures and practices
- Ability to work independently within a fast-paced, task-directed, deadline-oriented environment
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance
- 3+ years of experience in a similar position
- Non-profit accounting (including non-profit revenue recognition) preferred
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER EXPRESSING YOUR INTEREST IN WORKING TO SUPPORT TIDES AND WHY YOU ARE QUALIFIED FOR THIS JOB.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
How To Apply
Please apply here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=thetides&jobId=205231&lang=en_US&source=CC3