SUMMARY OF JOB:
The Senior Accountant works closely with the Director of Finance and NatureServe staff to assist with the budgeting process, process payroll and check requests, and provide other accounting functions as needed. The essential job functions listed below are not meant to be all-inclusive and may be subject to change at any time.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Process bi-weekly scheduled payroll in Trinet PEO. Update Trinet with new, existing, and terminated employee data.
- Import timesheets from time keeping system (Unanet) into the accounting system (Microsoft Dynamic SL).
- Prepare payroll and 401(k) journal entries in the accounting system. Download and transmit 401(k) information to -Fidelity.
- 401K annual discrimination test: reconcile payroll to Fidelity and provide the report to HR
- Cash Management:
- Make weekly cash deposits with bank. Apply cash receipts (both electronic and manual) to A/R ledger as received. Handle international payments by wire and ACH. Maintain check log, cash balance on daily basics.
- Bank and Investment Accounts reconciliation.
- Processes Direct Deposit Requests.
- Banking relation: coordinating with bank’s representative for any issues or requests
- Budget process:
Assist in the planning and preparation of annual and departmental budgets and budget analysis.
- Workers comp audit: provide worksheets, support schedules. Process year-end 1099.
- Maintain and reconcile trial balance, balance sheet and general ledger accounts for month-end and fiscal year-end closing.
- Prepare Quarterly Cash flow projections.
- Provide supporting documents, and schedules for annual audit. Assists with 990 report.
- Create recurring invoices and billings. Assist in AR/Collections follow up as needed.
- Prepare and record journal entries as needed. Maintain supporting records for entries.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree (or professional certification equivalent) in finance, accounting, or business administration with at least five years of experience in accounting.
- Experience with accounting functions such as payroll processing, monthly financial reporting, budgeting, and reconciliation processes.
- Strong computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Excel, as well as with the remainder of the Microsoft Office suite in a Windows environment; experience using ERP accounting and financial reporting systems required.
- Proven ability to organize priorities, solve problems, meet deadlines, and manage peak periods of activity while maintaining related paper records. Demonstrated ability to accurately enter, verify and update data on a daily basis.
- Ability to work in both team and independent settings, demonstrate initiative, exercise discretion, and maintain a customer service focus.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with nonprofit accounting.
- Knowledge of Trinet Payroll System.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics SL and/or Unanet.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to remain in a stationary position at least 50% of the time.
- Ability to hear well, speak clearly and communicate in writing.
- Ability to work in an office setting during normal business hours.
- Use of repetitive motion to operate PC.
- Requires ability to visually or otherwise identify, observe or assess.
- Ability to pull, push, and twist to access and place accounting files.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 20lbs.
NatureServe, a nonprofit conservation science and technology organization, provides the scientific basis for effective conservation action. With nearly 60 staff and an international network of over 80 natural heritage programs across the United States, Canada, and Latin America, we are the leading source of information on rare and endangered species and threatened ecosystems. We provide information and tools to conservation groups, government agencies, corporations, academia, and the public to help them make informed decisions about managing our natural resources. NatureServe holds a unique niche, by providing scientifically sound guidance for major conservation investments across the hemisphere.
NATURESERVE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
An equal opportunity, reasonable accommodations employer, NatureServe complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you need accommodation in the employment process or this document in an alternative format, please contact our office at 703-908-1840 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We stand in support of equality for and advancement of all people based on their qualifications and actions alone without regard to color, gender, age, religion, national origin, or disability.