WHO WE ARE: Founded in 1966, CRLA’s mission is to fight for justice and individual rights alongside the most exploited communities of our society. Through a network of regional offices and cross-cutting programs, CRLA provides legal services to over 42,000 low-income people annually. Our work impacts farm workers, individuals with disabilities, immigrant populations, LGBT communities, women, children and families in rural areas.
- Position: Senior Accountant
- Experience: 5 plus years
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
- Location: CRLA Oakland Office
- Term of Employment: Regular, Full-Time
- Other: FLSA Non-Exempt, Non-Union Position
CRLA is seeking a Senior Accountant to join our team, who is experienced at recording, verifying, and reconciling transactions. In this role, you must have mastery of your debits and credits and you must understand how financial statements interrelate with the GL and the trial balance. You will assist with financial reporting and the month end close duties and responsibilities. Reporting to the Finance Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Account reconciliations prepare and record asset, liability, revenue, and expense entries by compiling and analyzing account information;
- Subledger to general ledger reconciliations prepare and close subledgers in accordance with monthly accounting close schedule;
- Journal entries;
- Ensure accurate and timely accounting to quickly produce financial statements in preparation to various internal and external stakeholders for compliance and/or oversight responsibilities.
- Chart of accounts maintenance;
- Complete timely month end and year end close based on the accounting close schedule;
- Strive to record accounting transactions for asset, liability, revenue and expense categories to the general ledger on a real-time basis;
- Support the CFO and Finance Director, in conjunction with the independent auditor, to prepare for the organization’s annual audit;
- Support the CFO and Finance Director, to prepare schedules in relation to the IRS 990 and other agencies for compliance purposes;
- Identify opportunities to streamline processes to increase timeliness, efficiency, and improve the accuracy of financial reporting;
- Participate in the implementation and improvement of workflows that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
- Support systems improvements and data integrity for financial accounting and grants management systems with finance and accounting team.
- Participate in cross departmental and cross organizational teams, financial projects and planning activities as needed.
- Support time tracking and costs to serve analysis.
- Adherence to internal controls policies and safeguarding of information.
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Maximize use of excel and accounting software and minimize use of manual processes.
- Perform as back up for other accounting positions in the organization.
- Perform additional duties or special projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate should have a Bachelors degree in accounting, and equivalent business experience and 5-7 years of progressively responsible Senior level GL accounting experience. The successful candidate will have knowledge in all major areas of accounting including, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Cash Management/ Treasury, Sales & Use Tax, Payroll, General Ledger, Reconciliations, Production of Financial Statements, Budgeting & Forecasting, as well as experience issuing audited financial statements.
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
- A high degree of knowledge of accounting software (i.e. Intacct or Microsoft Dynamics)
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), in relation to non-profit organizations
- Non-profit accounting experience with organizations generating greater than $15 million in annual revenue
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary DOE; Generous benefits package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, and 401K retirement plan contribution. Fourteen (14) paid Holidays, generous vacation and sick leave policy, some professional dues paid by CRLA and if qualified - participation in the School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program (LRAP).
California Rural Legal Assistance thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.
How To Apply
IF INTERESTED, PLEASE USE LINK BELOW TO APPLY WITH RESUME AND COVER LETTER ATTACHED.